    this possible in the future and when will it be available?

    Thanks in advance,
    Chris

    Chris, Jan 23, 2004

  2. Chris

    Anton Spaans Guest

    I think it is going to be difficult, if not impossible.

    look at this thread from the Nokia Developer Forum:
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34929&hig
    hlight=%2Airda%2A
    (text of that msg:
    It is not possible to connect to IrDA, neither for MIDP 1.0 nor MIDP 2.0
    applications. The only 'access' you have to a local communication device is
    the bluetooth device, supported by MIDP 2.0 mobiles.

    Hope that helps.
    h.arald
    )

    It seems the only way to use IrDA for communications is to make your phone
    act like a modem through your IrDA and then establish HTTP or similar
    connections to a server running on the other device.
    Good luck.

    -- Anton Spaans.

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to found out if it is possible to access the IrDA ports on
    > java enabled mobile phones (eg T610) through a J2ME app. I have read
    > through numerous postings but found nothing conclusive. Best info so
    > far appears to be:

    http://www.wmlscript.it/j2me/api20/javax/microedition/io/CommConnection.html

    http://j2medevices.com/documentation/midp1.0/javax/microedition/io/package-s
    ummary.html

    Anton Spaans, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Chris wrote:

    > I am trying to found out if it is possible to access the IrDA ports on
    > java enabled mobile phones (eg T610) through a J2ME app. I have read
    > through numerous postings but found nothing conclusive.

    Only if the OEM has enabled opening their irDA port via the Generic
    Connection Framework. The only connection guaranteed to be available on any
    platform is HttpConnection. I'm not aware of any OEM APIs on the S/E phones
    for irDA communication.

    > Best info so
    > far appears to be:
    >
    > http://www.wmlscript.it/j2me/api20/javax/microedition/io

    CommConnection.html

    This is for the MIDP 2.0 and not for MIDP 1.0 (which is what the T610 is, if
    I'm not mistaken). And, it's not guaranteed to be present on any device.

    > http://j2medevices.com/documentation/midp1.0/javax/microedition/io

    package-summary.html

    > Can anyone confirm whether this is possible? If not, what will make
    > this possible in the future and when will it be available?

    Since not all devices have irDA, the MIDP will probably never require
    CommConnection on a platform. However, you should be able to check whether
    it's possible to create such a connection and, if it's not, fail gracefully
    with a note to the user.

    --
    Darryl L. Pierce <>
    Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>

    Darryl L. Pierce, Jan 23, 2004
  4. "Anton Spaans" <aspaans at(noSPAM) smarttime dot(noSPAM) com> wrote:

    > I think it is going to be difficult, if not impossible.
    >
    > look at this thread from the Nokia Developer Forum:
    > http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum

    showthread.php?s=&threadid=34929&hig
    > hlight=%2Airda%2A
    > (text of that msg:
    > It is not possible to connect to IrDA, neither for MIDP 1.0 nor MIDP 2.0
    > applications. The only 'access' you have to a local communication device
    > is the bluetooth device, supported by MIDP 2.0 mobiles.

    Incorrect. Bluetooth access if a part of JSR-82 and *not* MIDP 2.0; i.e.,
    MIDP 1.0 devices could support Bluetooth if they have JSR-82 supported. As
    for accessing irDA, it is possible, though that speaks nothing of whether
    it's *available* on any particular device. The article you mention is from
    a Nokia-specific website.

    Darryl L. Pierce, Jan 26, 2004
  5. Chris

    alexvesp123

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Messages:
    3
    manage irda in j2me

    hi, mi name is alex, and after investigating so hard, i found how to do
    a program that send strings by irda, to another movil.

    if you want to know how to do that, please write me

    alexvesp123, Sep 19, 2008
  6. Chris

    alexvesp123

    Joined: