J2ME, MDIP 2.0 and NetBeans

Discussion in 'Java' started by Kris Garrein, Jan 16, 2004.

  1. Kris Garrein

    Kris Garrein Guest

    Hello, this is my first post, so be gentle please :)

    I got interested in taking up java development again (Now I'm C++ coder)
    when purchasing a new mobile phone (Siemens MC60).

    I downloaded the following:
    - Sun J2ME
    - Sun Wireless Toolkit WTK2.1
    - NetBeans

    As I found in the docs those should be enough to get started with MDIP 2.0
    game programming ?

    But I have some trouble setting up NetBeans for MDIP 2 :'(
    MDIP 1 seems to be working fine, I have the javax.microedition stuff, no
    problem,
    but when trying to use the javax.microedition.lcdui.game import I get
    compiler errors...

    Seems to me that MDIP 2 is not correctly 'linked' in the NetBeans comiler
    ???

    Can anybody help me to set up netbeans for MDIP 2 ?

    Thank you very much.
    Kris G. (Belgium)
    Kris Garrein, Jan 16, 2004

  2. Kris Garrein

    Jon A. Cruz Guest

    Kris Garrein wrote:

    > But I have some trouble setting up NetBeans for MDIP 2 :'(
    > MDIP 1 seems to be working fine, I have the javax.microedition stuff, no
    > problem,
    > but when trying to use the javax.microedition.lcdui.game import I get
    > compiler errors...
    >
    > Seems to me that MDIP 2 is not correctly 'linked' in the NetBeans comiler
    > ???
    >
    > Can anybody help me to set up netbeans for MDIP 2 ?

    Well, in general I prefer Eclipse as an IDE (well, Emacs + JDEE for
    myself, but that may not be best for begininers).

    Since you're probably not going to be doing a lot of actual 'Java Beans'
    for J2ME, you can go ahead and try Ecplise

    http://www.eclipse.org/

    Then I did a quick google search and found this as the first hit

    http://weblog.cemper.com/a/200308/07-eclipse-j2me-wireless-development-with-sony-ericsson-p800.php
    Jon A. Cruz, Jan 16, 2004

  3. Kris Garrein

    Jon A. Cruz Guest

    Jon A. Cruz wrote:

    > Since you're probably not going to be doing a lot of actual 'Java Beans'
    > for J2ME, you can go ahead and try Ecplise
    >

    > http://www.eclipse.org/
    >
    > Then I did a quick google search and found this as the first hit
    >
    > http://weblog.cemper.com/a/200308/07-eclipse-j2me-wireless-development-with-sony-ericsson-p800.php

    Also, I just noticed this
    A tutorial on "J2ME and Eclipse" at the Eclipse conference here in just
    a few weeks:
    http://www.eclipsecon.org/program-d.htm#Meekeren

    That lets me know that a lot of people are doing it, and a lot of people
    are interested in it.
    Jon A. Cruz, Jan 16, 2004
  4. Kris Garrein

    Kris Garrein Guest

    Thank you.

    However, I would really like to use NetBeans because it is the IDE I'm most
    familiar with (it's the one we used in university). Maybe someone else here
    can help me ?

    Thanks.
    Kris.

    Kris Garrein, Jan 16, 2004
  5. Kris Garrein

    Kris Garrein Guest

    No worries... I found my answer hidden away on some forum :)

    Just needed to mount the MDIPAPI20.jar to the filesystem.
    Works like a charm :)

    Greetings.
    K.

    Kris Garrein, Jan 16, 2004
  6. Kris Garrein wrote:
    <snip>

    Drop NetBeans and use something simpler. Your environment is way to complex
    for someone just starting out. The Wireless Toolkit will work as your
    compiling environment, so just use a simple editor for writing your code. I
    suggest Xemacs/JDE/BSH or something similar.

    --
    Darryl L. Pierce <>
    Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
    Darryl L. Pierce, Jan 17, 2004
  7. Kris Garrein

    Kris Garrein Guest

    I'm not sure but Xemacs sounds very much like Linux :)
    I use Windows :p

    And again... I'm not just starting out.
    I actually had 2 years of java in university.
    But since I decided to go the C++ way, I haven't coded java for 2 or 3
    years.
    But it's all coming back to me quickly :)

    K.

    Kris Garrein, Jan 17, 2004
  8. Kris Garrein wrote:

    > I'm not sure but Xemacs sounds very much like Linux :)
    > I use Windows :p

    I use Xemacs/JDE/BSH on Windows XP to do my work. Xemacs is available for
    Windows from xemacs.org.

    > And again... I'm not just starting out.
    > I actually had 2 years of java in university.

    But you're starting over. You have a knowledge of the language, but have
    little experience in using it in a production environment. Your best bet is
    to start simple and increment as you go.

    Darryl L. Pierce, Jan 17, 2004
  9. Kris Garrein

    jamesg Guest

    Kris

    This too is my first message so I wonder if you can help me. Similarly I program in c++ but am trying some java on a phone. I've downloaded the J2ME Wireless Toolkit 2.1 Production Release (already have netbeans). Do I also need the J2ME(or is that included in the toolkit above?)

    I can't seem to get netbeans to recognise javax.microedition.lcdui could you please elaborate on the solution you found.

    Many thanks in advance

    James G
    jamesg, Feb 26, 2004
  10. jamesg wrote:

    > This too is my first message so I wonder if you can help me. Similarly I
    > program in c++ but am trying some java on a phone. I've downloaded the
    > J2ME Wireless Toolkit 2.1 Production Release (already have netbeans). Do
    > I also need the J2ME(or is that included in the toolkit above?)

    First off, J2ME is an umbrella term that references to all Java technology
    on handheld, wireless and embedded devices. It's not a separate entity in
    and of itself, but is a reference to different technologies.

    Now, you need to determine *which* specification you're going to code
    against. You say "java on a phone". Which phone? There are a number of
    phones available that support the MIDP; most of them are MIDP 1.0 and only
    a handful (like my Motorola V400) are MIDP 2.0. The platform you're
    targeting will determine what APIs you will have available at runtime.

    Darryl L. Pierce,,,, Mar 2, 2004
  11. Kris Garrein

    Guest

    hai kris garrein, i'm 3rd year student. i do my project for mobile based attendance system. i don't know how to send mobile database to sysstem databdase using netbeans and how to connect database server as computer and client as mobile
    , Mar 22, 2013
  12. Kris Garrein

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 05:04:13 -0700 (PDT),

    >hai kris garrein, i'm 3rd year student. i do my project for mobile based attendance system. i don't know how to send mobile database to sysstem databdase using netbeans and how to connect database server as computer and client as mobile

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/sql.html
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdbc.html
    Every method you use to prevent or find bugs leaves a residue of subtler
    bugs against which those methods are ineffectual.
    ~ Bruce Beizer Pesticide Paradox
    Roedy Green, Mar 23, 2013