j2me question, MIDlet app update distribution

Sid

Hi,

I've been doing a bit of j2me in the last few weeks. One thing I still
haven't figured out is, let say I have an app that is used by many
people. Then one day I want to release an update to that app. How do I
go about it? At the moment, the only way I can think of is by telling
those people that there's a newer version of the app and that they'd
need to remove their existing app, and install the newer app.

My question is: is it possible to distribute the update this way:
1. Tell users that there's a newer version of the app.
2. Users can then just go to their existing app, select 'update', then
a patch is downloaded from a central server (a web server), then the
patch will be ran and update the app

Anyone know if this is possible with j2me?

David N. Welton

Sid said:
My question is: is it possible to distribute the update this way:
1. Tell users that there's a newer version of the app.
2. Users can then just go to their existing app, select 'update', then
a patch is downloaded from a central server (a web server), then the
patch will be ran and update the app

Anyone know if this is possible with j2me?

If you use Hecl, you could do that, by scripting portions of your
application:

http://www.hecl.org

I don't think it's possible with normal j2me though.

--
David N. Welton
- http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
- http://www.dedasys.com/

Alex Hunsley

Sid said:
Hi,

I've been doing a bit of j2me in the last few weeks. One thing I still
haven't figured out is, let say I have an app that is used by many
people. Then one day I want to release an update to that app. How do I
go about it? At the moment, the only way I can think of is by telling
those people that there's a newer version of the app and that they'd
need to remove their existing app, and install the newer app.

My question is: is it possible to distribute the update this way:
1. Tell users that there's a newer version of the app.
2. Users can then just go to their existing app, select 'update', then
a patch is downloaded from a central server (a web server), then the
patch will be ran and update the app

Anyone know if this is possible with j2me?

Nope, not possible I'm afraid. Certain platform specifics may exist to
aid with this, but purely with J2ME: not a hope.
lex

news.isd.dp.ua

Sid пишет:
Hi,

I've been doing a bit of j2me in the last few weeks. One thing I still
haven't figured out is, let say I have an app that is used by many
people. Then one day I want to release an update to that app. How do I
go about it? At the moment, the only way I can think of is by telling
those people that there's a newer version of the app and that they'd
need to remove their existing app, and install the newer app.

My question is: is it possible to distribute the update this way:
1. Tell users that there's a newer version of the app.
2. Users can then just go to their existing app, select 'update', then
a patch is downloaded from a central server (a web server), then the
patch will be ran and update the app

Anyone know if this is possible with j2me?

You can use MIDlet.platformRequest. Just point it to link with newer
version of application.

Alex Hunsley

news.isd.dp.ua said:
Sid пишет:

You can use MIDlet.platformRequest. Just point it to link with newer
version of application.

This will only work for MIDP2 phones btw... platformRequest isn't
supported in MIDP1.