    a patch is downloaded from a central server (a web server), then the
    patch will be ran and update the app

    Anyone know if this is possible with j2me?
    Sid, Dec 17, 2006

  2. Sid wrote:

    > My question is: is it possible to distribute the update this way:
    > 1. Tell users that there's a newer version of the app.
    > 2. Users can then just go to their existing app, select 'update', then
    > a patch is downloaded from a central server (a web server), then the
    > patch will be ran and update the app
    >
    > Anyone know if this is possible with j2me?

    If you use Hecl, you could do that, by scripting portions of your
    application:

    http://www.hecl.org

    I don't think it's possible with normal j2me though.

    --
    David N. Welton
    - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

    Linux, Open Source Consulting
    - http://www.dedasys.com/
    David N. Welton, Dec 17, 2006

  3. Sid

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    Sid wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been doing a bit of j2me in the last few weeks. One thing I still
    > haven't figured out is, let say I have an app that is used by many
    > people. Then one day I want to release an update to that app. How do I
    > go about it? At the moment, the only way I can think of is by telling
    > those people that there's a newer version of the app and that they'd
    > need to remove their existing app, and install the newer app.
    >
    > My question is: is it possible to distribute the update this way:
    > 1. Tell users that there's a newer version of the app.
    > 2. Users can then just go to their existing app, select 'update', then
    > a patch is downloaded from a central server (a web server), then the
    > patch will be ran and update the app
    >
    > Anyone know if this is possible with j2me?

    Nope, not possible I'm afraid. Certain platform specifics may exist to
    aid with this, but purely with J2ME: not a hope.
    lex
    Alex Hunsley, Dec 18, 2006
  4. Sid пишет:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been doing a bit of j2me in the last few weeks. One thing I still
    > haven't figured out is, let say I have an app that is used by many
    > people. Then one day I want to release an update to that app. How do I
    > go about it? At the moment, the only way I can think of is by telling
    > those people that there's a newer version of the app and that they'd
    > need to remove their existing app, and install the newer app.
    >
    > My question is: is it possible to distribute the update this way:
    > 1. Tell users that there's a newer version of the app.
    > 2. Users can then just go to their existing app, select 'update', then
    > a patch is downloaded from a central server (a web server), then the
    > patch will be ran and update the app
    >
    > Anyone know if this is possible with j2me?

    You can use MIDlet.platformRequest. Just point it to link with newer
    version of application.
    news.isd.dp.ua, Dec 18, 2006
  5. Sid

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    news.isd.dp.ua wrote:
    > Sid пишет:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've been doing a bit of j2me in the last few weeks. One thing I still
    >> haven't figured out is, let say I have an app that is used by many
    >> people. Then one day I want to release an update to that app. How do I
    >> go about it? At the moment, the only way I can think of is by telling
    >> those people that there's a newer version of the app and that they'd
    >> need to remove their existing app, and install the newer app.
    >>
    >> My question is: is it possible to distribute the update this way:
    >> 1. Tell users that there's a newer version of the app.
    >> 2. Users can then just go to their existing app, select 'update', then
    >> a patch is downloaded from a central server (a web server), then the
    >> patch will be ran and update the app
    >>
    >> Anyone know if this is possible with j2me?
    >>

    > You can use MIDlet.platformRequest. Just point it to link with newer
    > version of application.

    This will only work for MIDP2 phones btw... platformRequest isn't
    supported in MIDP1.
    Alex Hunsley, Dec 18, 2006
  6. Sid

    Sid Guest

    Thank you, I think this could be what I was looking for!

    Sid, Jan 22, 2007