J2ME UDP Datagram 3 Second Delay

Discussion in 'Java' started by gordonmcdowell@gmail.com, Jan 21, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I have been working on a problem receiving UDP datagrams on an emulated
    MIDP 2.0 phone. The datagrams are held for 3 seconds before the phone
    can receive them.

    A history of my trying to isolate this problem can be found at...
    http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?messageID=3050861&#3050861

    ....but it basically is this:

    When my WinXpSp2 box running Netbeans-4.0 simulating a MIDP-2.0 phone
    (either any J2ME Wireless Toolkit 2.2 default phone, or any Motorola
    SDK 4.2 for J2ME phone), regardless of CLDC-1.0 or CLDC-1.1, when this
    emulated phone tries to receive a UDP datagram, the following line of
    code...

    dc.receive(receiveDatagram);

    ....takes 3 seconds to execute IF the datagram is coming from my other
    PC. But if the datagram comes from the same PC that the emulation is
    being run on, there is no delay.

    But this problem appears to be J2ME specific because running a similar
    receive-a-udp-datagram app in J2SE does NOT have any delay regardless
    of where the datagram comes from.

    J2ME has a bunch of tools in netbeans to simulate degraded network
    performance. I haven't used those. Also if I use a toolkit to launch an
    emulated cell phone outside of Netbeans, I get same delay. I can't
    think of anywhere to narrow it down to other then the J2ME
    implementation.

    Has anyone tried receiving UDP datagrams with their J2ME app? Surely it
    must be a very common activity. Has anyone seen such a delay? Has
    anyone NOT seen such a delay on a simulated cellphone?
    Thanks for any help. -Gord

    , Jan 21, 2005

  3. David Van de Voorde, Jan 21, 2005