J2ME vs Symbian C++ for Bluetooth apps

haggai.shachar

Hello,
I'm starting to develop a BT application and need to decide which
platform to use - J2ME or Symbian C++.
I wish I could use J2ME, life sure is simpler then - the thing is,
I'm not sure J2ME has enough strength for my needs:
My app should resist in some kind of thread / service, and to "wake up"
as a specific BT signal arrives.

As far as I know J2ME, can't function as an OS service while other
applications run. Is it right?

I was thinking, maybe BT infrastructure can initiate my app, so I don't
need any "daemon" thread on the background.
Is it possible? How is the performance in this case?

Thanks,
Haggai

Darryl Pierce

I'm starting to develop a BT application and need to decide which
platform to use - J2ME or Symbian C++.

Do you want portability? If so, then MIDP is the way to go since Symbian
is nowhere near as prevalent.
I wish I could use J2ME, life sure is simpler then - the thing is,
I'm not sure J2ME has enough strength for my needs:
My app should resist in some kind of thread / service, and to "wake up"
as a specific BT signal arrives.

Then, in that case, you'll want to target SymbianOS. But, that'll limit
portability severely.
As far as I know J2ME, can't function as an OS service while other
applications run. Is it right?

That's right, unless the handset allows you to register for platform
notification...

haggai.shachar

As far as I know J2ME, can't function as an OS service while other
That's right, unless the handset allows you to register for platform
notification...

can you please explain ?
which handsets support platform notifications, and how is it done in
J2ME ?

Haggai

Darryl Pierce

can you please explain ?

Unless the handset lets you register for notifications for system
service events; i.e., your MIDlet is registered as the handler for
certain content types or event notifications. For example, Spring lets
you write MUGlets (don't ask) that are MIDlets which are the registered
handler for certains types of content. So you could write a certain type
of data for, say, game content and then register your MIDlet as the
handler for that content. Then anytime the phone downloaded data of that
type, your MIDlet would be launched and handed the data for processing.