J2SE 5.0 applet load time slow (animated gif the cause?)

Rob Cox

Folks,

I have an applet (https), with about 5 MB of jar files. After we
moved to J2SE 5.0, the load time seems much slower. It seems to have
gone from about 40 seconds to 1 min 40 sec (approx).

An odd thing I noticed is when I minimize my Internet Explorer window,
the applet seems to start up quickly again.

Is this possibly related to the "starburst logo" progress bar
animation that Sun now uses for applet start ups? I know that
animated gifs can sometimes chew up quite a bit of cpu time.

I think the progressbar property is no longer in 5.0

I'm running on a single proc laptop. When I run it on my 2 proc
server, it is not as obvious.

Thanks,
Rob

Andrew Thompson

I have an applet ..
URL?

..(https),

Move it to an http if necessary.
..with about 5 MB of jar files.

What does this applet do, neurosurgery? [ ;-) ]
..After we
moved to J2SE 5.0, the load time seems much slower. It seems to have
gone from about 40 seconds to 1 min 40 sec (approx).

Time it, rather than estimate.
An odd thing I noticed is when I minimize my Internet Explorer window,
the applet seems to start up quickly again.

Again with the 'seems'. *Time* *it*.

System.out.println("start " + new Date());
Is this possibly related to the "starburst logo" progress bar
animation that Sun now uses for applet start ups?

Possibly yes, possibly no.

Drag the applet out for public viewing, but put
some timing debug statements in it first.
What's the minimum Java required?