J2SE

Stephen Gray

Hello.

Just wondered if it is possible to develop an application using J2SE 1.4 and
Netbeans 3.5 for example :-

Helpdesk system that can be administered from a webpage.

Or would I have to go to J2EE ?

Steve

Joseph Millar

Hello.

Just wondered if it is possible to develop an application using J2SE 1.4 and
Netbeans 3.5 for example :-

Of course. That is their primary purpose in life.
Helpdesk system that can be administered from a webpage.

Or would I have to go to J2EE ?

Oh you're looking for advice in which would be a better fit for such
an application?

If the main interface of the system is a web browser, then you
going to be working for servlets and JSP I would imagine.
As for a hosting web server, you have lots and lots of choices,
from Tomcat (free and basic stuff) to full features J2EE compliant
behemoths like Weblogic and Webshpere. You have to decide what
the scope of your app is and what you want to provide. Also look
at where you want to host this app (OS wise I mean).

You may decide J2EE is overkill for what you want to do, but no
way for us to say that since we have no details.

As a development environment, Netbeans works well. It's just not
my favorite thing being such a large, complex think. I prefer the
clean and simple look of Eclipse. Either will handle what you
want to do. J2EE has a whole bunch of api's bundles in, most of
which are available seperately for use with J2SE.

You need to define the app more fully and then decide on tools
that fit the need, not pick the tools first.

--Joe