Jabberbot

Discussion in 'Python' started by Matt Graves, Nov 13, 2013.

  1. Matt Graves

    Matt Graves Guest

    I'm using the jabberbot library and there is not a whole lot of documentation on it. Does anyone have experience with this library?

    This is basically the only example given:

    -------------------------
    from jabberbot import JabberBot, botcmd
    import datetime

    class SystemInfoJabberBot(JabberBot):
    @botcmd
    def serverinfo( self, mess, args):
    """Displays information about the server"""
    version = open('/proc/version').read().strip()
    loadavg = open('/proc/loadavg').read().strip()

    return '%s\n\n%s' % ( version, loadavg, )

    @botcmd
    def time( self, mess, args):
    """Displays current server time"""
    return str(datetime.datetime.now())

    @botcmd
    def rot13( self, mess, args):
    """Returns passed arguments rot13'ed"""
    return args.encode('rot13')

    @botcmd
    def whoami(self, mess, args):
    """Tells you your username"""
    return mess.getFrom().getStripped()

    username = ''
    password = 'xxxxx'
    bot = SystemInfoJabberBot(username,password)
    bot.serve_forever()

    -------------------------
    I cannot figure out how I would have it simulate a conversation. For example, if I added

    @botcmd
    def Hello(self, mess, args):
    return "Hi, how are you?"

    how would I get it to carry on from here? To look for different answers to the response that was returned. Any bit of information would be appreciated.
    Matt Graves, Nov 13, 2013

    [snip code from http://thp.io/2007/python-jabberbot/]

    > I cannot figure out how I would have it simulate a conversation. For example, if I added
    >
    > @botcmd
    > def Hello(self, mess, args):
    > return "Hi, how are you?"
    >
    > how would I get it to carry on from here? To look for different answers to the response that was returned. Any bit of information would be appreciated.

    From the link above "More examples

    Starting with version 0.7, more examples can be found in the examples/
    subdirectory of the source distribution."

    Have you looked at these?

    But the best has yet to be invented. Christian Tismer

    Mark Lawrence
    Mark Lawrence, Nov 13, 2013

  3. Matt Graves

    Matt Graves Guest

    On Wednesday, November 13, 2013 11:32:24 AM UTC-5, Mark Lawrence wrote:
    > On 13/11/2013 16:12, Matt Graves wrote:
    >
    > > I'm using the jabberbot library and there is not a whole lot of documentation on it. Does anyone have experience with this library?

    > [snip code from http://thp.io/2007/python-jabberbot/]
    >

    > > I cannot figure out how I would have it simulate a conversation. For example, if I added

    > > @botcmd

    > > def Hello(self, mess, args):

    > > return "Hi, how are you?"

    > > how would I get it to carry on from here? To look for different answers to the response that was returned. Any bit of information would be appreciated.

    > From the link above "More examples
    >

    > Starting with version 0.7, more examples can be found in the examples/
    >
    > subdirectory of the source distribution."
    >

    > Have you looked at these?
    >

    > --
    >
    > Python is the second best programming language in the world.
    >
    > But the best has yet to be invented. Christian Tismer
    >

    > Mark Lawrence

    I have, but unfortunately they are about just as clear as the example I posted. The examples they posted are relevant for certain things, but not what I'm looking to do.
    Matt Graves, Nov 13, 2013