jad error decompiling 1.5 code

Discussion in 'Java' started by grasp06110@yahoo.com, Dec 9, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Happy Friday Everybody!

    /* * * a little background * * */
    I am trying to decompile some legacy code I have inherited. Only the
    ..class files are in production. I have (most of) the source but there
    is some confusion of exactly what versions of various copies of the
    source are in production. The .class files in production have been
    modified as recently as today using Java 1.5 and go back several years
    and Java 1.3. I would like to decompile the production source,
    recompile it and then compare the .class files from that little
    exercise to the .class files generated from the source under the same
    conditions.

    /* * * the problem * * */
    When I try to decompile the production source files I get errors
    similar to the following:

    Parsing classes/com\myCompany\automation/MyClass.class...The class file
    version
    is 49.0 (only 45.3, 46.0 and 47.0 are supported)

    Does anyone know what might be causing this?

    Does Jad (or Jode or any other decompiler) support Java 1.5?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    John

    , Dec 9, 2006

    Sorry,

    I forgot to mention, I'm using Jad version 1.5.8 (I'm not sure what
    letter, I'll try the latest and see if that helps).

    Thanks,
    John

    , Dec 9, 2006

  3. Daniel Dyer Guest

    On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 00:12:46 -0000, <> wrote:

    > Happy Friday Everybody!
    >

    > /* * * a little background * * */
    > I am trying to decompile some legacy code I have inherited. Only the
    > .class files are in production. I have (most of) the source but there
    > is some confusion of exactly what versions of various copies of the
    > source are in production. The .class files in production have been
    > modified as recently as today using Java 1.5 and go back several years
    > and Java 1.3. I would like to decompile the production source,
    > recompile it and then compare the .class files from that little
    > exercise to the .class files generated from the source under the same
    > conditions.
    >
    > /* * * the problem * * */
    > When I try to decompile the production source files I get errors
    > similar to the following:
    >
    > Parsing classes/com\myCompany\automation/MyClass.class...The class file
    > version
    > is 49.0 (only 45.3, 46.0 and 47.0 are supported)
    >
    > Does anyone know what might be causing this?
    >
    > Does Jad (or Jode or any other decompiler) support Java 1.5?

    Class file format 49.0 is Java 5.0. Looks like JAD doesn't support
    anything after 1.4.

    Dan.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    http://www.uncommons.org

    Daniel Dyer, Dec 9, 2006
  4. Chris Uppal Guest

    wrote:

    > I forgot to mention, I'm using Jad version 1.5.8 (I'm not sure what
    > letter, I'll try the latest and see if that helps).

    It should. Version 1.5.8f (which I use) has no special trouble with
    1.5-compiled files (it doesn't always succeed in producing valid Java, of
    course, but it is happy to make the attempt). Apparently the latest version is
    1.5.8g, but I haven't tried that yet.

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Dec 9, 2006
  5. I confirm this:
    The first version of Jad to decompile Java 1.5 code is 1.5.8f. Jad
    1.5.8e doesn't.

    Unfortunately, the latest binaries available for Linux are 1.5.8e, but I
    did successfully run 1.5.8f Windows binaries with Wine 0.9.21. I just
    had to run dos2unix command on generated files afterwards.

    Alex.
    --
    http://olek.sdf-eu.org/devel/java/

    Aleksander Zawitkowski, Dec 29, 2006