jad error decompiling 1.5 code

grasp06110

Happy Friday Everybody!

/* * * a little background * * */
I am trying to decompile some legacy code I have inherited. Only the
..class files are in production. I have (most of) the source but there
is some confusion of exactly what versions of various copies of the
source are in production. The .class files in production have been
modified as recently as today using Java 1.5 and go back several years
and Java 1.3. I would like to decompile the production source,
recompile it and then compare the .class files from that little
exercise to the .class files generated from the source under the same
conditions.

/* * * the problem * * */
When I try to decompile the production source files I get errors
similar to the following:

Parsing classes/com\myCompany\automation/MyClass.class...The class file
version
is 49.0 (only 45.3, 46.0 and 47.0 are supported)

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Does Jad (or Jode or any other decompiler) support Java 1.5?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John

grasp06110

Sorry,

I forgot to mention, I'm using Jad version 1.5.8 (I'm not sure what
letter, I'll try the latest and see if that helps).

Thanks,
John

Daniel Dyer

[...]

Class file format 49.0 is Java 5.0. Looks like JAD doesn't support
anything after 1.4.

Dan.

Chris Uppal

I forgot to mention, I'm using Jad version 1.5.8 (I'm not sure what
letter, I'll try the latest and see if that helps).

It should. Version 1.5.8f (which I use) has no special trouble with
1.5-compiled files (it doesn't always succeed in producing valid Java, of
course, but it is happy to make the attempt). Apparently the latest version is
1.5.8g, but I haven't tried that yet.

-- chris

Aleksander Zawitkowski

I confirm this:
The first version of Jad to decompile Java 1.5 code is 1.5.8f. Jad
1.5.8e doesn't.

Unfortunately, the latest binaries available for Linux are 1.5.8e, but I
did successfully run 1.5.8f Windows binaries with Wine 0.9.21. I just
had to run dos2unix command on generated files afterwards.

Alex.