jakarta..how does it work?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Eridano, Jul 29, 2003.

  1. Eridano

    Eridano Guest

    Hi folks.

    I installed recently j2sdk1.4.2 (with netbeans 3.5) in my pc (the
    directory is
    "C:\Program Files\j2sdk_nb\j2sdk1.4.2") and after, I asked how to
    create http client, I download jakarta (HttpClient). I unzip ... it
    created a directory "\commons-httpclient-2.0-beta2". I put this
    directory into the "C:\Program
    Files\j2sdk_nb\j2sdk1.4.2\commons-httpclient-2.0-beta2"..I opened
    ClientApp.java (it's a sample for use of jakarta) and during the
    compilation Netbeans (java) displaied the following error messages :

    ClientApp.java [85:1] package org.apache.commons.httpclient does not
    exist
    import org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient;
    ^
    So, where I have to put the jakarta directory or what have I to do to
    continue?

    Ivan
    Eridano, Jul 29, 2003

  2. Eridano

    J Guest

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 7:06:02 -0400, Eridano wrote
    (in message <>):

    > Hi folks.
    >
    > I installed recently j2sdk1.4.2 (with netbeans 3.5) in my pc (the
    > directory is
    > "C:\Program Files\j2sdk_nb\j2sdk1.4.2") and after, I asked how to
    > create http client, I download jakarta (HttpClient). I unzip ... it
    > created a directory "\commons-httpclient-2.0-beta2". I put this
    > directory into the "C:\Program
    > Files\j2sdk_nb\j2sdk1.4.2\commons-httpclient-2.0-beta2"..I opened
    > ClientApp.java (it's a sample for use of jakarta) and during the
    > compilation Netbeans (java) displaied the following error messages :
    >
    > ClientApp.java [85:1] package org.apache.commons.httpclient does not
    > exist
    > import org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient;
    > ^
    > So, where I have to put the jakarta directory or what have I to do to
    > continue?
    >
    > Ivan

    You need to place the directory into the classpath.

    First, don't put third party pacakages into the JDK directory. Just a matter
    of style. Put them into their own directory. But that is not the problem.

    There should be a jar called http-client.jar (or something very similar to
    that.) That file needs to placed on the class path. I don't use netbeans,
    but there should be a way to load jar files into your project. Once you load
    that jar file into the project, then you should be ready.

    J, Jul 29, 2003

  3. Eridano

    Ike Guest

    Isnt something like this treated exactly like an extension?

    -Ike

    Ike, Jul 29, 2003