James Kanze's message in c.l.c++.m

Sanjay

For some reason, I cannot post to c.l.c++.m, so I am putting my opinion
here.
In the thread "Function Rings" in that newsgroup, Mr. Kanze opines
The standard may allow junk like this, but it is enough to get you fired
in any company I've worked for.

With all due respect, all "software" companies I have worked for have had no
respect for such things at all. What matters is that the product be released
on time. Macros exceed several lines. Functions are several hundreds of
lines long. Some source files are, be ready for this, several thousands of
lines long, all classes do everything, everyone is everyone's friend. A
class behaves one way when a variable has one value and another when it has
another. The code is sprinkled with duplicate or nearly duplicate
constructs. Every programmer re-invented the wheel.

You write a class that's short, you create source files that don't exceed
200 lines, you use STL, and the code reviewer thinks you aren't doing
enough.

The official coding guidelines wait patiently in the recycling can for the
recycler to come and pick them up.

I am not talking of small companies, but big ones with multi-million dollar
budgets.

I respectfully submit that there is a disconnect between what's propounded
on these newgroups and what obtains in reality.

Again, this is all based on "in any company I've worked for", as Mr. Kanze
said.

Bob Jacobs

Sanjay said:
[...]

And which companies are we talking about, exactly? ;-)