January Stylus Scoop! XQuery Interview & Awards, CSV to XML Tutorial,and More

Discussion in 'XML' started by Tony Lavinio, Jan 26, 2005.

  1. Tony Lavinio

    Tony Lavinio Guest

    Dear Stylus Studio Friends,

    The new year is scarcely one month old, but we already have lots to report!
    For starters, there's Stylus Studio 6 Release 2. The latest release of
    Stylus Studio boasts literally hundreds of product enhancements, and is
    available now for free trial download. We're also proud to present our
    interview with Dr. Daniela Florescu, editor of the XQuery specification.
    Read this month's Stylus Scoop and learn about where XQuery stands today
    and what's on the road ahead from a true industry insider and visionary.
    We're also rolling out the industry's first ever XQuery Innovator's Award
    Program to showcase your XQuery work. And to help with your resolve as you
    face the year ahead, we've published an XML developer's new year's
    resolutions. And what opening letter would be complete without soliciting
    your feedback? We're trying to make this XML newsletter the best in the
    industry, so let us know what you think! Really! Keep those cards and
    letters coming to .

    Ciao, and best wishes for a great new year!
    Ivan Pedruzzi, Senior Product Architect, and the Stylus Studio Team

    The Stylus Scoop, January 2005
    http://www.stylusstudio.com/scoop/january2005.html

    Table of Contents:
    * An Interview with Daniela Florescu, Editor of W3C XQuery Specification
    * Apply for an XQuery Innovator Award!
    * An XML Developer's New Year Resolutions for 2005
    * Stylus Studio Hacks: Building a Custom CSV to XML Adapter

    1) An Interview with Daniela Florescu, Editor of the W3C XQuery
    Specification

    What's the scoop with XQuery you ask? We were curious, too, so we went
    straight to the top and called Dr. Daniela Florescu. And she called back!
    Pundits can ruminate, and columnists can speculate, but it's hard to
    imagine a more plugged-in source than Dr. Florescu, the editor-in-chief of
    the W3C XQuery specification since day one. Scoop Editor Ivan Pedruzzi was
    privileged to chat with Dr. Florescu about where XQuery is today, and where
    it's heading. If you read only one XQuery article this year, this should be
    the one! A must-read for application architects, engineers and managers
    alike! http://www.stylusstudio.com/daniela_florescu.html

    2) Enter the XQuery Innovator Awards!

    Grammies! Emmies! Studdies! Studdies? It's awards season in the
    entertainment industry, and Stylus Studio is happy to jump on the statuette
    bandwagon and sponsor the First Annual Stylus Studio XQuery Innovator
    Award. This award, for enterprise software developers, systems integrators,
    and IT consultants, gives you the opportunity to have your work publicly
    showcased and to gain valuable recognition as a pioneer in the XQuery
    industry. Win accolades from the XML developer community, and a big ol' XML
    trophy from us. (Won't that hardware look nice on your mantelpiece?) Are
    you an XQuery innovator? Learn more, and pick up your entry form at:
    http://www.stylusstudio.com/xquery_innovator_awards.html

    Hurry - no entries will be accepted after March 31, 2005!

    3) An XML Developer's New Years Resolutions

    Another year, and another neglected list of new years resolutions, right?
    Not so fast! This year is going to be different, and Stylus Studio is going
    to help! By now, you're probably wondering, "Can a class-leading XML IDE
    really help me accomplish my 2005 goals?" If that XML IDE is Stylus Studio,
    of course it can :)
    http://www.stylusstudio.com/new_years_resolutions.html

    4) Stylus Studio Hacks: Building a Custom CSV to XML Adapter

    We are pleased to introduce a new column in the Scoop, Stylus Studio Hacks.
    Each month, Principal Software Architect Tony Lavinio adds luster to one of
    Stylus Studio's hidden gems and shares the results with you.

    You probably already know that the Stylus Studio Convert to XML module
    provides dozens of converters that let you easily convert non-XML files
    (dBase (II-V), email, ini files, tab-separated values, Java properties
    files, RTF, CSV files, and many more) to XML on-the-fly - just pick a file,
    pick a converter, and open that file as XML anywhere in Stylus Studio. And
    you can use Convert to XML to easily build converters from scratch using an
    intuitive visual editor. But did you know that you can write custom XML
    Adapters to support custom file types? This month, Tony describes how to
    implement a bidirectional file filter for accessing CSV files as XML data
    sources. You can learn about this exciting new way to extend Stylus Studio
    here: http://www.stylusstudio.com/custom_adapter.html

    Tony Lavinio, Jan 26, 2005