    Sun site was a little less than helpful with respect to this scenario.

    Thanks,
    Jay.

    Jay Golden, Mar 3, 2004

  2. On 3 Mar 2004 09:47:18 -0800, Jay Golden wrote:

    > I have a generic JApplet that runs in any JDK 2 environment. I want to
    > embed the applet so that it will work with JDK 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 and any
    > sub versions.

    See my example at..
    <http://www.physci.org/codes/jre.jsp>

    >..I understand that as of 1.4 you can use the APPLET tag
    > instead of EMBED and OBJECT.

    Who told you that?
    applet, object and embed arre all attributes
    of HTML. Applet was HTML 3.2, wheareas HTML
    4.01 has deprecated the applet attribute.

    >..Is there a way to write a generic
    > APPLET/OBJECT/EMBED tag that will work in all browsers/platforms?

    No. Do not kid yourself into believing
    such a thing.

    Even if your wonderful applet works on
    modern browsers on PC's, you still have
    to contend with handhelds, textual broswers
    and other UA's that don't have a JVM
    (and never will)

    HTH

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Mar 3, 2004

  3. Jay Golden

    Ike Guest

    Out of curiosity, why do you say "And never will?"

    Ike, Mar 4, 2004
  4. On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 04:20:36 GMT, Ike wrote:

    >> Even if your wonderful applet works on
    >> modern browsers on PC's, you still have
    >> to contend with handhelds, textual broswers
    >> and other UA's that don't have a JVM
    >> (and never will)

    > Out of curiosity, why do you say "And never will?"

    I do not have Flash installed,
    because that is my decision.
    Why should Java be any different?

    Download Lynx and take a look at it.

    Some people actually surf with it,
    though I have yet to figure whether
    there is any reason for doing so
    ...beyond decimating beautiful
    (or improving garish and overblown)
    web pages.

    But on a more serious note, I would
    like to feel that ultimately we can
    deliver Java enhanced content, and
    Java applets to people connected to
    the internet who do not have the
    luxury of either a broadband connection
    or a modern PC.

    We should be able to deliver a 'less
    bells and whistles' AWT version for
    people who might be forced to use the
    1.8Meg 1.1.8 JVM, rather than the
    'you beaut' all bells and whistles
    1.4.2 or 1.5.. try forcing those
    down a dial-up modem.
    <http://www.physci.org/test/graph/index.jsp?nm=Size+of+Java+Plug-In+-+10+Kb&lbl=1.1.8+1.3.1+1.4.2+1.5Beta&val=139+1165+2643+3197>

    :-(

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Mar 4, 2004
  5. Jay Golden

    Ike Guest

    I agree. But I would add that VMs should always be the users option - not
    bundled with OS's and specific to a particular OS! As an option, it would
    help if it weren't necessarily HUGE!

    -Ike

    Ike, Mar 4, 2004