JApplet HTML tags for JDK 2 Compatibility?

Jay Golden

I have a generic JApplet that runs in any JDK 2 environment. I want to
embed the applet so that it will work with JDK 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 and any
sub versions. I understand that as of 1.4 you can use the APPLET tag
instead of EMBED and OBJECT. Is there a way to write a generic
APPLET/OBJECT/EMBED tag that will work in all browsers/platforms? The
Sun site was a little less than helpful with respect to this scenario.

Thanks,
Jay.

Andrew Thompson

I have a generic JApplet that runs in any JDK 2 environment. I want to
embed the applet so that it will work with JDK 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 and any
sub versions.

See my example at..
..I understand that as of 1.4 you can use the APPLET tag
instead of EMBED and OBJECT.

Who told you that?
applet, object and embed arre all attributes
of HTML. Applet was HTML 3.2, wheareas HTML
4.01 has deprecated the applet attribute.
..Is there a way to write a generic
APPLET/OBJECT/EMBED tag that will work in all browsers/platforms?

No. Do not kid yourself into believing
such a thing.

Even if your wonderful applet works on
modern browsers on PC's, you still have
to contend with handhelds, textual broswers
and other UA's that don't have a JVM
(and never will)

HTH

Andrew Thompson

Out of curiosity, why do you say "And never will?"

I do not have Flash installed,
because that is my decision.
Why should Java be any different?

Download Lynx and take a look at it.

Some people actually surf with it,
though I have yet to figure whether
there is any reason for doing so
...beyond decimating beautiful
(or improving garish and overblown)
web pages.

But on a more serious note, I would
like to feel that ultimately we can
deliver Java enhanced content, and
Java applets to people connected to
the internet who do not have the
luxury of either a broadband connection
or a modern PC.

We should be able to deliver a 'less
bells and whistles' AWT version for
people who might be forced to use the
1.8Meg 1.1.8 JVM, rather than the
'you beaut' all bells and whistles
1.4.2 or 1.5.. try forcing those
down a dial-up modem.
<http://www.physci.org/test/graph/in....8+1.3.1+1.4.2+1.5Beta&val=139+1165+2643+3197>

:-(

Ike

I agree. But I would add that VMs should always be the users option - not
bundled with OS's and specific to a particular OS! As an option, it would
help if it weren't necessarily HUGE!

-Ike