jar problem

Discussion in 'Java' started by Daisy, Oct 3, 2005.

  1. Daisy

    Daisy Guest

    I'm struggling with a bug and am writing to see if someone has an idea
    that
    hasn't occurred to me.

    I wrote some report generation software using Quest's JClass product.
    It
    produces a beautiful .pdf report as long as I run the code in Eclipse.
    When
    I create a .jar then run the .jar, it runs fine. But when I open the
    generated report in Adobe Reader, it produces the error "invalid
    restore".
    I can view the report but the content of the tables are blank.

    Because the code produces a valid .pdf in Eclipse, I know I have all
    the
    code necessary on my machine. However, when I create the .jar
    something
    goes subtly wrong. I've tried carefully checking all my classpaths,
    etc.
    I'm a bit concerned about Eclipse path filters.

    Has anyone struggled with similar symptoms? If so, how did you resolve
    it?

    Thanks

    Daisy, Oct 3, 2005

  2. Daisy wrote:

    > Has anyone struggled with similar symptoms? If so, how did you resolve
    > it?

    the times I had a problem like this it usually was because I was using
    different versions of some files, whereas I was thinking I was using the
    same files. I remember once having a war file with two different
    versions of the same class files. I know you carefully checked, but I
    still think this is the most likely cause.
    Anyway, besides checking again, I want to suggest to debug your jar (you
    can do that with eclipse), and see what happens. I don't know if you did
    it already, but even if you really made no mistakes you can more likely
    find out what went wrong

    Andrea Desole, Oct 3, 2005

  3. Daisy

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 3 Oct 2005 07:53:19 -0700, "Daisy" <> wrote or
    quoted :

    >Has anyone struggled with similar symptoms? If so, how did you resolve
    >it?

    I have not had this problem, but if I did here in what I would do.

    Look in the eclipse working directory for the jars IT creates.

    do a Jar -t myproject.jar to get a contents list.
    Dump the manifest with winzip

    Now do the same with the jar you created outside Eclipse.

    Compare.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Oct 3, 2005