Jar test, with 1.4 VM?

Andrew Thompson

Do you have a 1.4 VM installed, and could you test(2) a
sandboxed, 350 Kb JWS launch(1) in it for me?

The launch file is here..
<http://www.athompson.info/family/thompson-1.4.jnlp>

(1) I want to put a web start launch of genealogical
data (family tree) for my rels. using a Java based
application. Having had good experiences with
GenealogyJ, I tried web starting the application,
but experienced problems with it that I have not
had time to resolve.

Since then, I found a build of the GenJ *applet*
that *claims* to be 1.4+, but just wanted to
(2) confirm it works in 1.4, before I make it 'public'
to the folks.

If that fails, try the equivalent for 1.5(3), if you would.
I only have 1.6 installed, and worry about killing
my (fragile) set-up, whenever it comes to installing
*earlier* versions.

(3) All launch files are here..
<http://www.athompson.info/family/>

Andrew T.

Chris Uppal

Andrew said:
Do you have a 1.4 VM installed, and could you test(2) a
sandboxed, 350 Kb JWS launch(1) in it for me?

The launch file is here..
<http://www.athompson.info/family/thompson-1.4.jnlp>

I have still healthy (apparently) installations of 1.4.2 on a couple of
machines. Is there a way to persuade them to run that JNLP ? I tried:

./javaws <that url>

on both of them, but they asked me whether I wanted to dowload and install the
earlier JRE 1.4.0 -- which, I'm afraid, I didn't want to allow.

-- chris

Andrew Thompson

I have still healthy (apparently) installations of 1.4.2 on a couple of
machines. Is there a way to persuade them to run that JNLP ? ....
on both of them, but they asked me whether I wanted to dowload and install the
earlier JRE 1.4.0 ..

That is disturbing, I would expect it to find
the earlier versions. I'll need to look into it
further.

Andrew T.

Andrew Thompson

On Feb 6, 2:42 am, "Chris Uppal" <[email protected]
THIS.org> wrote:
I have still healthy (apparently) installations of 1.4.2 on a couple of
machines. Is there a way to persuade them to run that JNLP ? ....
... asked me whether I wanted to dowload and install the
earlier JRE 1.4.0

This thread at the Web Start forum at the Sun,
forums requests further information/clarification
of the behaviour of the version attribute of the
j2se element.
<http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5133244>

Will return to this thread when/if I get more
information..

Andrew T.

Chris Uppal

Andrew said:
Will return to this thread when/if I get more
information..

Good luck !

BTW, one thing that I should have made clearer is that I tried to use the
javaws.exe from the 1.4.2 installation(s) to launch your jnlp URL. Not knowing
much about JNLP, it didn't even occur to me that the "default" JLNP processing
(a 1.6 installation, on this machine) would invoke anything other than the most
up-to-date JRE available.

-- chris

Andrew Thompson

Good luck !

Thanks. Funny thing with that exact Jar is,
wghile Jar claiming to be compatible with 1.4+,
it is actually Java compatible with *1.1*!
Given it uses JFreeChart, and icons for
buttons, I had not noticed, specifically..

So I'll continue that versioning question
with a dedicated Jar (smaller than the
313Kb required for the applet) later..
BTW, one thing that I should have made clearer is that I tried to use the
javaws.exe from the 1.4.2 installation(s) to launch your jnlp URL.

Huh.. If anything should have worked, I
expect /that/ should have.
...Not knowing
much about JNLP, it didn't even occur to me that the "default" JLNP processing
(a 1.6 installation, on this machine) would invoke anything other than the most
up-to-date JRE available.

Thanks for the info.

Andrew T.

Andrew Thompson

N.B. Of historical interest, only.*
I have still healthy (apparently) installations of 1.4.2 on a couple of
machines. Is there a way to persuade them to run that JNLP ?

The first attempts included a href for
the download URL of the JRE, which changes
the behaviour of web start in that only
an exact match** will work.

To do what I wanted, and get 'any 1.4 VM',
it is necessary to lose the download URL.
** This is perhaps better explained by
Dietz333 on the Sun forum thread..
<http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5133244>

In any case, I have seen it work with the
1.5 JNLP, and (expect) it should now also
work with the 1.4 JNLP. (* If you can try
it with your 1.4 VM, it would be nice to
know this works for 1.4 as well, but it
is not vital..)

Andrew T.

Andrew Thompson