Jar test, with 1.4 VM?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Andrew Thompson, Feb 5, 2007.

  1. Do you have a 1.4 VM installed, and could you test(2) a
    sandboxed, 350 Kb JWS launch(1) in it for me?

    The launch file is here..
    <http://www.athompson.info/family/thompson-1.4.jnlp>

    (1) I want to put a web start launch of genealogical
    data (family tree) for my rels. using a Java based
    application. Having had good experiences with
    GenealogyJ, I tried web starting the application,
    but experienced problems with it that I have not
    had time to resolve.

    Since then, I found a build of the GenJ *applet*
    that *claims* to be 1.4+, but just wanted to
    (2) confirm it works in 1.4, before I make it 'public'
    to the folks.

    If that fails, try the equivalent for 1.5(3), if you would.
    I only have 1.6 installed, and worry about killing
    my (fragile) set-up, whenever it comes to installing
    *earlier* versions.

    (3) All launch files are here..
    <http://www.athompson.info/family/>

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Feb 5, 2007

  2. Andrew Thompson

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > Do you have a 1.4 VM installed, and could you test(2) a
    > sandboxed, 350 Kb JWS launch(1) in it for me?
    >
    > The launch file is here..
    > <http://www.athompson.info/family/thompson-1.4.jnlp>

    I have still healthy (apparently) installations of 1.4.2 on a couple of
    machines. Is there a way to persuade them to run that JNLP ? I tried:

    ./javaws <that url>

    on both of them, but they asked me whether I wanted to dowload and install the
    earlier JRE 1.4.0 -- which, I'm afraid, I didn't want to allow.

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Feb 5, 2007

  3. On Feb 6, 2:42 am, "Chris Uppal" <-
    THIS.org> wrote:
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > > Do you have a 1.4 VM installed, and could you test(2) a
    > > sandboxed, 350 Kb JWS launch(1) in it for me?

    > > The launch file is here..
    > > <http://www.athompson.info/family/thompson-1.4.jnlp>

    > I have still healthy (apparently) installations of 1.4.2 on a couple of
    > machines. Is there a way to persuade them to run that JNLP ?

    > on both of them, but they asked me whether I wanted to dowload and install the
    > earlier JRE 1.4.0 ..

    That is disturbing, I would expect it to find
    the earlier versions. I'll need to look into it
    further.

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Feb 5, 2007
  4. On Feb 6, 2:42 am, "Chris Uppal" <-
    THIS.org> wrote:
    > I have still healthy (apparently) installations of 1.4.2 on a couple of
    > machines. Is there a way to persuade them to run that JNLP ?

    >... asked me whether I wanted to dowload and install the
    > earlier JRE 1.4.0

    This thread at the Web Start forum at the Sun,
    forums requests further information/clarification
    of the behaviour of the version attribute of the
    j2se element.
    <http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5133244>

    Will return to this thread when/if I get more
    information..

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Feb 6, 2007
  5. Andrew Thompson

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > Will return to this thread when/if I get more
    > information..

    Good luck !

    BTW, one thing that I should have made clearer is that I tried to use the
    javaws.exe from the 1.4.2 installation(s) to launch your jnlp URL. Not knowing
    much about JNLP, it didn't even occur to me that the "default" JLNP processing
    (a 1.6 installation, on this machine) would invoke anything other than the most
    up-to-date JRE available.

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Feb 6, 2007
  6. On Feb 7, 4:52 am, "Chris Uppal" <-
    THIS.org> wrote:
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > > Will return to this thread when/if I get more
    > > information..

    > Good luck !

    Thanks. Funny thing with that exact Jar is,
    wghile Jar claiming to be compatible with 1.4+,
    it is actually Java compatible with *1.1*!
    Given it uses JFreeChart, and icons for
    buttons, I had not noticed, specifically..

    So I'll continue that versioning question
    with a dedicated Jar (smaller than the
    313Kb required for the applet) later..

    > BTW, one thing that I should have made clearer is that I tried to use the
    > javaws.exe from the 1.4.2 installation(s) to launch your jnlp URL.

    Huh.. If anything should have worked, I
    expect /that/ should have.

    >...Not knowing
    > much about JNLP, it didn't even occur to me that the "default" JLNP processing
    > (a 1.6 installation, on this machine) would invoke anything other than the most
    > up-to-date JRE available.

    Thanks for the info.

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Feb 6, 2007
  7. On Feb 6, 2:42 am, "Chris Uppal" <-
    THIS.org> wrote:
    > AndrewThompson wrote:
    > > Do you have a 1.4 VM installed, and could you test(2) a
    > > sandboxed, 350 KbJWSlaunch(1) in it for me?

    > > The launch file is here..
    > > <http://www.athompson.info/family/thompson-1.4.jnlp>

    N.B. Of historical interest, only.*

    > I have still healthy (apparently) installations of 1.4.2 on a couple of
    > machines. Is there a way to persuade them to run that JNLP ?

    The first attempts included a href for
    the download URL of the JRE, which changes
    the behaviour of web start in that only
    an exact match** will work.

    To do what I wanted, and get 'any 1.4 VM',
    it is necessary to lose the download URL.
    ** This is perhaps better explained by
    Dietz333 on the Sun forum thread..
    <http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5133244>

    In any case, I have seen it work with the
    1.5 JNLP, and (expect) it should now also
    work with the 1.4 JNLP. (* If you can try
    it with your 1.4 VM, it would be nice to
    know this works for 1.4 as well, but it
    is not vital..)

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Feb 14, 2007
  8. On Feb 15, 7:42 am, "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote:
    > <http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5133244>

    After carefully reading that again, I
    realised Dietz333 (Andy) was *also*
    saying that ..