Jasper/ other Reporting framework performance

DC

Hi, Is jasper good enough for real time reporting. For eg. if we need
to query against 2-3 gb of data, will this be a good choice .
performance wise.

Is there any other existing web based framework available or any
papers to design framework..

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thks.

Ingo R. Homann

Hi DC,
Hi, Is jasper good enough for real time reporting. For eg. if we need
to query against 2-3 gb of data, will this be a good choice .
performance wise.

Is there any other existing web based framework available or any
papers to design framework..

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thks.

You mean "JasperReports"? I used it once, but I think it is not
comfortable enough. Sooner or later you need some functionality that
JasperReport does not support adequately.

I am now using iText, which is the library, on which JasperReports is based.

I do not have *any* performance-problems (although I only generated
documents with a few thousand pages). However - the bootleneck will not
be the reporting-tool but the database, I am sure. (Or do you really
want to generate a PDF that has 2-3GB of plain-data which would be
several millions of pages?)

But it should be quite easy to try that out:

doc=...
doc.open();
for(int i=0;i<100000000;i++) {
doc.add(new Paragraph("Hello World"));
}
doc.close();

or something like that.

Ciao,
Ingo

DC

Thanks.
But wht abt creating our own framework. Make use of coccon , xml
pipeline..
but quest. remians same, can xml based architecture handle such data..
any thoughts ?? or is there any article thts give some idea for
creating such framework where presentaion layer is provide..

Lew

DC said:
Thanks.
But wht abt creating our own framework.

You have a white abbot creating your framework?

Writing a full-fledged "framework" is a major undertaking. OTOH, fairly
compact modules constitue a "framework" quite manageably. It depends on how
much you want your framework to do.

If you write a "framework", be pretty clear on how it will support your true
business process so that framework maintenance will not supplant your real
purpose. The idea of any framework is to automate some part of a software
production process so that one gets more complete and reliable results in less
elapsed calendar time.
Make use of coccon , xml pipeline..
but quest. remians same, can xml based architecture handle such data..

XML-based architectures can handle just about any conceivable data with the
right support code.
any thoughts ?? or is there any article thts give some idea for
creating such framework where presentaion layer is provide..

I am unclear how you mean a "presentation layer is provide[d]" - are you
saying you want to write a generic presentation layer in the framework you
intend to design? How are you envisioning the connection between XML and the
presentation layer?

There are likely gazillions of articles related to what you want. What search
terms apply specifically to what you're trying to accomplish? What detailed
advantages do you seek?

-- Lew

DC

thanks lew. Can you point me to some articles rgd. this.
By presentation layer i means i don't have to do much of UI
stuff( like creating tree view
, then separate javascript code to manage its open ,closing of node,
just give the presentaion layer ist, 2nd , ,,,,level data and that
its. eclipse rcp is something like this but unfortunately not web
based; dynamically adding columns to html table..)
xml based apporach , i am worried abt we need to represent data in xml
format and feed it to cocoon, additional work) some data can be cached
but if xml file is huge , not sure if it would fast enough to parse
it..

Appreciate ur feedback.