    reason I still did not find a way to do it...

    PLS. H E L P . . . .

    , Jan 23, 2007

  2. Hi,
    I'm also trying to work with Hebrew,
    but I use Unicode-Fonts.

    There I have the Problem, that the cantilation-marks(accents) are
    often not at the right place.
    This seems to be a problem with java.
    With other programms the same fonts work good.

    Hermann

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?hermann_krau=DF?=, Jan 24, 2007

    Hi Herman,

    could you please tell me how are you using Unicode-Fonts (did you have
    to add fonts? if so - where to? etc.)
    did you have to check the java jdk font's folder??

    thanks,

    Dror

    , Jan 24, 2007
  4. wrote:
    > Hi Herman,
    >
    > could you please tell me how are you using Unicode-Fonts (did you have
    > to add fonts? if so - where to? etc.)

    hi Dror,
    I have added the fonts "Ezra SIL" and "Code2000" to my operating system
    but you can also run most standard fonts with unicode.
    the encoding-tables you find on internet.
    you can specify unicode strings in your java code as follows:
    String s = "This is a String containing unicode: \u<hhhh>\u002a..."
    where <hhhh> is any Hex Nrumber from 0000 to ffff

    enjoy!

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?hermann_krau=DF?=, Jan 25, 2007

    Hi Hermann,

    Thanks for the effort!!

    I need to ask some more things though...

    Did this solution work with Jasper-Reports and Java?

    I have the desired font installed in my computer (both in OS and in
    iReport font library), but still, when I run the code, I get an error
    message (from Jasper engine) about missing the font...

    Any idea on how to solve this ???

    Thanks again,

    Dror

    , Jan 26, 2007
  6. wrote:
    > Hi Hermann,

    Hi Dror,

    > Did this solution work with Jasper-Reports and Java?

    Java is no Problem
    - Use 1.6 for better support of cantilation-marks
    with jasper reports i cant help you

    > I have the desired font installed in my computer (both in OS and in
    > iReport font library), but still, when I run the code, I get an error
    > message (from Jasper engine) about missing the font...
    >
    > Any idea on how to solve this ???

    sorry,
    but first try a standard font with unicode
    - but they look not very good

    hope i could help you a little,
    hermann

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?hermann_krau=DF?=, Jan 29, 2007
  7. Hi Dror,
    hab da nochn kleines Rätsel für dich:

    \u05db\u05bc\u05b7\u05e6\u05bc\u05b4\u05e4\u05bc\u05a3\u05d5\u05b9\u05e8
    \u05dc\u05b8\u05ad\u05e0\u05d5\u05bc\u05d3
    \u05db\u05bc\u05b7\u05d3\u05bc\u05b0\u05e8\u05a3\u05d5\u05b9\u05e8
    \u05dc\u05b8\u05e2\u0591\u05d5\u05bc\u05e3
    \u05db\u05bc\u05b5\u05a5\u05df
    \u05e7\u05b4\u05bd\u05dc\u05b0\u05dc\u05b7\u05a5\u05ea
    \u05d7\u05b4\u059d\u05e0\u05bc\u05b8\u0597\u05dd \u05dc\u05d0
    (\u05dc\u05a3\u05d5\u05b9) \u05ea\u05b8\u05d1\u05b9\u05bd\u05d0\u05c3

    Hermann

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?hermann_krau=DF?=, Jan 29, 2007

    the solution:

    First of all, I've updated the iText jar and src files to the latest
    (1.4.8)
    http://www.lowagie.com/iText/download.html
    (the jar that came with the jasperReports download was older)

    Then, I've added this code that adds the desired font at runtime:

    HashMap fontMap = new HashMap();
    FontKey key = new FontKey("Arial", false, false); //(String fontName,
    Boolean bold, Boolean italic)
    PdfFont font = new PdfFont("(fontPath)\
    \ARIAL.TTF",BaseFont.IDENTITY_H,true); //(String pdfFontName, String
    pdfEncoding, Boolean isPdfEmbedded)
    fontMap.put(key,font);

    JRPdfExporter exporter = new JRPdfExporter();
    exporter.setParameter(JRPdfExporterParameter.CHARACTER_ENCODING,
    "UTF-8");
    exporter.setParameter(JRPdfExporterParameter.FONT_MAP, fontMap);

    Note that "Arial" parameter in FontKey method points to the iReport
    "Font Name" field (although the font added is actually "ARIAL.TTF") -
    so when designing the report, you have to choose "ARIAL.TTF" as "PDF
    Font Name" and "Arial" as "Font Name"!!! this is very important cause
    for some reason, at run time, Jasper engine searches for the TTF font
    by the key of "Arial".

    Then, all you have to do is to set the parameters and export the
    report (or generate the report in any other way) I've done it this
    way:

    //@ pathOfJasperFile - the compiled jasper file
    //@parameters - a map with report's parameters
    //@ conn - a connection to the DB
    JasperPrint jasperPrint =
    JasperFillManager.fillReport(pathOfJasperFile, parameters, conn);
    exporter.setParameter(JRPdfExporterParameter.JASPER_PRINT,
    jasperPrint);
    //@pdfFileName - the file that jasper engine will create. (pdf file)
    exporter.setParameter(JRPdfExporterParameter.OUTPUT_FILE_NAME,
    pdfFileName);
    exporter.exportReport();

    notes: a. you'll have to add a specific font for Bold font Italic font
    etc. (remember to set the FontName)
    b. if, for example, you'll add a font and mark it as Bold - you have
    to choose "Bold" at iReport (when designing the report) or else
    jasper engine would not find the font that you've added, even if all
    other parameters are right!

    Hope this helps.

    Dror Friedman

    Finally