Jasper Reports

JScoobyCed

Hi,

We are just discovering Jasper Reports and it looks such a great API!
Is there any "do not do" that we have to be careful if we want to
implement with Tomcat + Apache + AQL Server?
Many thanks,

Ingo R. Homann

Hi JScoobyCed,
Hi,

We are just discovering Jasper Reports and it looks such a great
API! Is there any "do not do" that we have to be careful if we want to
implement with Tomcat + Apache + AQL Server?
Many thanks,

I have worked with JasperReports (and iReports) using Tomcat and it
worked fine!

On the other hand, I prefer directly using iText meanwhile, which is
much more flexible (JasperReports is based on iText).

Ciao,
Ingo

JScoobyCed

Ingo said:
I have worked with JasperReports (and iReports) using Tomcat and it
worked fine!

On the other hand, I prefer directly using iText meanwhile, which is
much more flexible (JasperReports is based on iText).

Ciao,
Ingo

Thanks for the info. We are actually going to generate tables of data
(Excel like stuff, but with the option to save as PDF). If Jasper does
the trick it will save us time. But for basic pages, I agree on using
iText directly (which is the API that made us discover Jasper :) ).

Ingo R. Homann

Hi,
Thanks for the info. We are actually going to generate tables of data
(Excel like stuff, but with the option to save as PDF). If Jasper does
the trick it will save us time.

I think, it is a good choice, then!
But for basic pages, I agree on using
iText directly (which is the API that made us discover Jasper :) ).

Interesting - I think, the opposite is true: I think, for simple, basic
Documents (e.g. a simple Table with some headers), JasperReports is
perfect - but when you want to do "advanced" things (nested tables, much
texts, variable number of columns, ...), I think, iText is more flexible
and more comfortable.

Ciao,
Ingo

JScoobyCed

Ingo said:
Interesting - I think, the opposite is true: I think, for simple, basic
Documents (e.g. a simple Table with some headers), JasperReports is
perfect - but when you want to do "advanced" things (nested tables, much
texts, variable number of columns, ...), I think, iText is more flexible
and more comfortable.

In our case, "basic things" are labels and stickers. Take an A4 format
paper with 8x4 stickers, 5mm border on the top and bottom. We have
triied to do it in HTML (CSS and tables...). That was a nightmare, as
every client had different page format settings and browsers. We had to
adjust the borders, cellspacing, paper format... for each and very
client. Or if they purchased a new printer, we needed to adjust again.
With a PDF (or RTF or XLS) document, we are sure we will have to write
the code once.

Cheers,

Joined
Jul 30, 2010
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Following is link to the JasperReports book by Packt that is a complet step by step guide to create report using Jasper reports named JasperReports 3.6 Development Cookbook.

packtpub.com/jasperreports-3-5-2-development-cookbook/book

One chapter of the book is available for free download. This chapter demonstrates how to work with complex mathematical expressions. You can download the chapter from the following URL.

packtpub.com/sites/default/files/downloads/0769os-chapter-9.zip

You may check out the complete Table of Contents from following link:

packtpub.com/toc/jasperreports-36-development-cookbook-table-contents