Java 1.4.2 or 5.0?

void

I'm running Windows 2000 on an AMD 1.0 GHz cpu with 512 MB RAM. Would Java
SE 1.4.2 or 5.0 run faster on my system?

Thomas Kellerer

void wrote on 07.05.2006 10:12:
I'm running Windows 2000 on an AMD 1.0 GHz cpu with 512 MB RAM. Would Java
SE 1.4.2 or 5.0 run faster on my system?

I'd say it depends ;) 5.0 is faster when it comes to Swing/GUI stuff, but I do
not see a big difference for non-GUI code. I'd go for 1.5 just because it's the
most recent version (and 1.6 is "on the doorstep" already)

The only thing you need to consider: if you are writing applications that have
to run on 1.4.2 you have to be very careful which API calls you use and how you
compile your program.

Thomas