    void Guest

    I'm running Windows 2000 on an AMD 1.0 GHz cpu with 512 MB RAM. Would Java
    SE 1.4.2 or 5.0 run faster on my system?

    void, May 7, 2006

  2. void wrote on 07.05.2006 10:12:
    > I'm running Windows 2000 on an AMD 1.0 GHz cpu with 512 MB RAM. Would Java
    > SE 1.4.2 or 5.0 run faster on my system?

    I'd say it depends ;) 5.0 is faster when it comes to Swing/GUI stuff, but I do
    not see a big difference for non-GUI code. I'd go for 1.5 just because it's the
    most recent version (and 1.6 is "on the doorstep" already)

    The only thing you need to consider: if you are writing applications that have
    to run on 1.4.2 you have to be very careful which API calls you use and how you
    compile your program.

    Thomas

    Thomas Kellerer, May 7, 2006