Java 3D Loader Question

Oracle3001

Hi All,

I have read a bit about the loaders that one can download to enable a 3d
model from 3d studio max to be loaded into a java 3d app. How well do these
work? Are they only any good for simple models/scenes?

Also I have 3d studio max v4.0, and the standard saved file is in .max
format. Is there a loader for this format? A slight aside, can I convert the
..max to a .3ds (the export option in 3d studio max 4.0, doesn't seem to work
very well) without a loss in detail?

I ask all this because I have seen a model that I can purchase in .3ds
format, and I want to use it in my java3d app. It seems really detailed, and
am worried the loader won't reproduce this model very well.

Any further info, ppl think I should know would be great,

Adam