Java 3D visualization library?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Rob McDonald, Jan 27, 2008.

  1. Rob McDonald

    Rob McDonald Guest

    Can anyone recommend a 3D visualization library in Java?

    I've done a lot of 2D work with Graphics2D, and do not like the idea
    of continuing at that low level to 3D.

    Ideally, I would like something with Matlab-like semantics and
    capabilities.

    I've found a bunch of scene-graph based libraries, but I think that is
    the wrong tool for my job.

    I also found www.javaview.de which looks like what I would want, but
    their licensing is very bizarre. It appears they are marketing their
    program, not their library. If I were to use their API to integrate
    their capabilities with my program, I think every one of my users
    would have to go to their web site to register the program. Even
    though this appears to be free, I will not put my users through this.

    I need an LGPL or BSD like license, which does not limit the
    distribution of the resulting product. I am happy to contribute
    library improvements back to the original project.

    As long as I am making a wish-list, some capability to output high
    quality vector graphics is a huge plus. I've used the VectorGraphics
    library from FreeHep with much success.

    Thanks for any suggestions,

    Rob

    Rob McDonald, Jan 27, 2008