    defaults makes life easier.

    --
    Fredrik Jonson

    Fredrik Jonson, Oct 9, 2011

  2. Fredrik Jonson

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 9 Oct 2011 07:22:19 GMT, Fredrik Jonson <> wrote,

    >On the url below the 7u1 release is referred to as a "CPU" release. What
    >does CPU mean in this context?
    >
    >http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk7u/codereview.html

    Keep in mind that Open JDK and Oracle JDK are not the same thing. They
    will release updates separately.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com

    Roedy Green, Oct 9, 2011

  3. Fredrik Jonson

    Lew Guest

    Fredrik Jonson wrote:
    > Does anyone know of any public release schedule for JDK 7 updates? It seems
    > as if there hasn't been a release of update 1 yet?

    Each Java vendor has its own schedule. AFAIK, none of them release updateson a fixed schedule, but I could be wrong. It's just that in all my yearsas a Java programmer I've never seen one pre-schedule updates. I have always inferred that updates occur as needed to address defects.

    > On the url below the 7u1 release is referred to as a "CPU" release. What
    > does CPU mean in this context?
    >
    > http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk7u/codereview.html

    No idea. I think "7u1" refers to the initial public release that came out in July. IOW, the release subnumbers apparently are 1-based, not 0-based.

    > I'm wondering because having a [sic] official release that includes a fixfor the
    > Lucene loop unroll issue would be comforting. I know it is only a matter of
    > setting the right jvm flags, still mistakes happen and having reasonable
    > defaults makes life easier.

    Have you looked at the bug database for this?
    <http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=7044738>
    <http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=7068051>

    Like you, I am unable to find a hint of when 7u2 will be out.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Oct 9, 2011
  4. In <> Roedy Green wrote:

    > Keep in mind that Open JDK and Oracle JDK are not the same thing. They
    > will release updates separately.

    I know they are different things but will they really have completely
    independent release milestones?

    I'd expect openjdk to be the base for the oracle release, so that openjdk
    tags a minor update, and then oracle merges with whatever prorpietary stuff
    they add to their jdk on top of the openjdk tag, let oracle QA do their
    thing and then release it as a oracle branded jdk minor update.

    At least I'd expect that for the normal case for planned jdk updates. Of
    course security issues may force oracle to introduce extra releases that
    have not been synchronized with the openjdk ones.

    Is this not what happens?

    --
    Fredrik Jonson

    Fredrik Jonson, Oct 10, 2011
  5. In <24605756.79.1318172928553.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@prcs9> Lew wrote:

    > Each Java vendor has its own schedule. AFAIK, none of them release updates
    > on a fixed schedule, but I could be wrong. It's just that in all my years
    > as a Java programmer I've never seen one pre-schedule updates.

    No, I think you're correct, the version history on wikipedia seems to indicate
    that the release schedule is irregular. Though the last two years there has
    been a new update more or less every two months.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_version_history

    > No idea. I think "7u1" refers to the initial public release that came out
    > in July. IOW, the release subnumbers apparently are 1-based, not 0-based.

    That didn't ocurr to me, but it sure explains why I found more referenses to
    a future u2, rather than a future u1.

    --
    Fredrik Jonson

    Fredrik Jonson, Oct 10, 2011
  6. Fredrik Jonson wrote:
    > In <24605756.79.1318172928553.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@prcs9> Lew wrote:
    >
    > > Each Java vendor has its own schedule. AFAIK, none of them release updates
    > > on a fixed schedule, but I could be wrong. It's just that in all my years
    > > as a Java programmer I've never seen one pre-schedule updates.

    > No, I think you're correct, the version history on wikipedia seems to indicate
    > that the release schedule is irregular. Though the last two years there has
    > been a new update more or less every two months.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_version_history
    >
    > > No idea. I think "7u1" refers to the initial public release that came out
    > > in July. IOW, the release subnumbers apparently are 1-based, not 0-based.

    > That didn't ocurr to me, but it sure explains why I found more referenses to
    > a future u2, rather than a future u1.

    It has been not unusual to leave at least one update number "free" for
    emergency (i.e., security fix) releases.

    --

    "I'm a doctor, not a mechanic." Dr Leonard McCoy <>
    "I'm a mechanic, not a doctor." Volker Borchert <>

    Volker Borchert, Oct 11, 2011