Java 7 update - release schedule?

Fredrik Jonson

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any public release schedule for JDK 7 updates? It seems
as if there hasn't been a release of update 1 yet?

On the url below the 7u1 release is referred to as a "CPU" release. What
does CPU mean in this context?

http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk7u/codereview.html

I'm wondering because having a official release that includes a fix for the
Lucene loop unroll issue would be comforting. I know it is only a matter of
setting the right jvm flags, still mistakes happen and having reasonable
defaults makes life easier.

Roedy Green

On the url below the 7u1 release is referred to as a "CPU" release. What
does CPU mean in this context?

http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk7u/codereview.html

Keep in mind that Open JDK and Oracle JDK are not the same thing. They
will release updates separately.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Lew

Fredrik said:
Does anyone know of any public release schedule for JDK 7 updates? It seems
as if there hasn't been a release of update 1 yet?

Each Java vendor has its own schedule. AFAIK, none of them release updateson a fixed schedule, but I could be wrong. It's just that in all my yearsas a Java programmer I've never seen one pre-schedule updates. I have always inferred that updates occur as needed to address defects.
On the url below the 7u1 release is referred to as a "CPU" release. What
does CPU mean in this context?

http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk7u/codereview.html

No idea. I think "7u1" refers to the initial public release that came out in July. IOW, the release subnumbers apparently are 1-based, not 0-based.
I'm wondering because having a [sic] official release that includes a fixfor the
Lucene loop unroll issue would be comforting. I know it is only a matter of
setting the right jvm flags, still mistakes happen and having reasonable
defaults makes life easier.

Have you looked at the bug database for this?
<http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=7044738>
<http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=7068051>

Like you, I am unable to find a hint of when 7u2 will be out.

Fredrik Jonson

In said:
Keep in mind that Open JDK and Oracle JDK are not the same thing. They
will release updates separately.

I know they are different things but will they really have completely
independent release milestones?

I'd expect openjdk to be the base for the oracle release, so that openjdk
tags a minor update, and then oracle merges with whatever prorpietary stuff
they add to their jdk on top of the openjdk tag, let oracle QA do their
thing and then release it as a oracle branded jdk minor update.

At least I'd expect that for the normal case for planned jdk updates. Of
course security issues may force oracle to introduce extra releases that
have not been synchronized with the openjdk ones.

Is this not what happens?

Fredrik Jonson

In said:
Each Java vendor has its own schedule. AFAIK, none of them release updates
on a fixed schedule, but I could be wrong. It's just that in all my years
as a Java programmer I've never seen one pre-schedule updates.

No, I think you're correct, the version history on wikipedia seems to indicate
that the release schedule is irregular. Though the last two years there has
been a new update more or less every two months.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_version_history
No idea. I think "7u1" refers to the initial public release that came out
in July. IOW, the release subnumbers apparently are 1-based, not 0-based.

That didn't ocurr to me, but it sure explains why I found more referenses to
a future u2, rather than a future u1.

Volker Borchert

Fredrik said:
No, I think you're correct, the version history on wikipedia seems to indicate
that the release schedule is irregular. Though the last two years there has
been a new update more or less every two months.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_version_history

That didn't ocurr to me, but it sure explains why I found more referenses to
a future u2, rather than a future u1.

It has been not unusual to leave at least one update number "free" for
emergency (i.e., security fix) releases.