Java Add-On FORCES Programmers to Develop Secure Code

Discussion in 'Java' started by Joe Snodgrass, Nov 1, 2010.

  1. Subsequent Release May Generate Secure Code Automatically

    http://www.drdobbs.com/java/227900404

    Cornell researchers' programming language, an extension to the Java
    language, builds in security as a program is written
    As we become increasingly dependent on computers to manage our lives
    and businesses, our money and privacy become less and less secure. But
    now, Cornell researchers offer a way to build security into computer
    systems from the start, by incorporating security in the language used
    to write the programs.

    Until now, computer security has been reactive, said Fred Schneider,
    the Samuel B. Eckert Professor of Computer Science. When hackers
    discover a way in, we patch it. "Our defenses improve only after they
    have been successfully penetrated," he explained.

    "When problems arise, we patch software like putting on duct tape,"
    added collaborator Andrew Myers, professor of computer science. "By
    now we have layers of duct tape, and the system is a mess ... Our
    computer systems are this tottering stack of obsolete [layers of
    software] ... and security vulnerabilities are nearly inevitable."

    Myers and Schneider are developing a new computer platform, dubbed
    Fabric, that replaces multiple existing layers with a single, simpler
    programming interface that makes security reasoning explicit and
    direct, Myers said.

    Fabric is designed to create secure systems for distributed computing,
    where many interconnected nodes — not all of them necessarily
    trustworthy — are involved, as in systems that move money around or
    maintain medical records. When you connect to Amazon.com, for example,
    it talks to your credit card company and the vendor of the product,
    passes your demographics to some advertisers and more. In a medical
    records system, data is shared between hospitals, doctors and other
    practitioners, laboratories, medical billing agencies and insurers.

    Fabric's programming language, an extension of the widely used Java
    language, builds in security as the program is written. Everything in
    Fabric is an "object" labeled with a set of policies on how and by
    whom data can be accessed and what operations can be performed on it.
    Even blocks of program code have built-in policies about when and
    where they can be run.

    While your medical record, for example, could be seen entirely by your
    doctor, your physical therapist might be able to see only the doctor's
    prescription for your therapy, and your insurance company could see
    only the charges.

    The compiler that turns the programmer's code into an executable
    program enforces the security policies and will not allow the
    programmer write insecure code, Myers said. Most of this, he added, is
    transparent to the programmer, who can simply set the policies and not
    have to write detailed code to enforce them. "I think we can make life
    simpler and improve performance," he said.

    Fabric is still a prototype, being tested on a database of Cornell
    computer science students. With $1.1 million from the National Science
    Foundation and $1.3 million from the Office of Naval Research,
    Schneider and Myers plan to scale it up for very large distributed
    systems, provide for more complex security restrictions on objects and
    enable "mobile code" — programs that can reside on one node of a
    network and be run on another with assurance that they are safe and do
    what they claim to do. And perhaps most important (and perhaps
    hardest), they hope to provide formal mathematical proof that a system
    is really secure.

    Will the computer establishment be willing to adopt this new way of
    managing complex systems? "How did we get people to use the Web?"
    Myers countered. "It's a paradigm shift. By making security policies
    part of the process of building software, we can make it much easier
    to build secure systems. That will drive adoption."

    The name "Fabric," he noted, is meant to be reminiscent of "the Web,"
    but "Fabric is more useful and more tightly connected than webs."
    Joe Snodgrass, Nov 1, 2010