Java and cross platform software suitability

matthewoconnor1982

Hi

We have been working on a Mac version of desktop video
tagging product written entirely in java, and are coming slightly
unstuck on UI design.
We've changed the UI and I'd be really interested/grateful to get
your
feedback, comments and suggestions for improvement.

I'll elaborate a bit here to explain where we are at. This was
originally written as a Windows product, but was picked up by Apple.
As I'm sure you'll recognise, its written in Java and as such will
naturally suffer in comparison to other native Mac products in the
video arena. The plan is to rewrite in Cocoa, but commercially
speaking, we need a bit more traction with what we've got to justify
the cost, and obviously to ensure the improved user logic and ease of
use are correct before we green light the rewriting.

The thinking is that if the design is right for the Mac, we can
replicate if for the PC.

So I'm effectively asking you how to cosmetically enhance YourView-
written in Java- to appeal to a Mac audience with a view to porting
that to Windows.

There are aspects that are work in progress- the star ratings you see
will appear as just 1 star with a dropdown to represent the 5, and
the
media controls are not the finished article to name a couple- again,
hit me with suggestions on this one, either on list or PM

The screenshots can be found here- this is the YourView classifier
(where the tagging takes place) :

http://yourview.tv/images/YourViewplayer.tiff

Also, as an aside- compared to native programming languages, how
suitable is Java in the opinion on the group for cross platform
desktop software/solutions?

Thanks

Matt

matthewoconnor1982

This is the exact, same, word-for-word message that you posted in clj.gui on
2008-04-21 as "Cross platform Java GUI design" and in clj.programmer on
2008-04-22 as "Java and cross platform software suitability".  That's rude.

You have respondents already on the clj.gui thread.  What are they supposed to
do, abandon that and jump over to the other conversation?  Try to follow the
conversation on both threads despite the fragmentation?  Assume that you don't
care about their efforts to assist you?

Lew,

Hang on- I've posted that on there because of its more GUI focussed
users. I have had one respondent, which was great and very thorough.
But still, one response.

I have also posted it on here as its user activity level is much
higher, in an attempt to garner more responses, and more advice- the
experience and thoughts of the people of this board are important.
Apologies if this has caused offence, I'm merely trying to seek out
advice. I have included the bulk of the original message, yes, but I
have also tried to qualify this above topic into another discussion-
mainly that of java as suitability for cross platform software
products, something which I haven't mentioned on the GUI board.

Of course I care about people's attempts to assist- I've responded as
quickly as I could and contacted off list to thank the poster. It just
so happens it was 'person' rather than people.

Again, if this has hit a nerve, I apologise.

Matt

Roedy Green

e question of cross-platform...

What are the alternatives? Java is miles ahead the Rogue Wave stuff
I used in the 90s. Java is a bandwagon. That is itself helps
compensate for any shortcomings. There are so many implementations and
so much code mostly floating about free you can use without having to
start from scratch .