Java and IPX Protocol

ricca82it

I have a desire to create a client/server application that connects two
(or more) machines over the Internet. I also want this tunnel to allow
IPX-packets to flow. How do I create IPX-packets in Java? Is there any
API for this?

Roedy Green

I have a desire to create a client/server application that connects two
(or more) machines over the Internet. I also want this tunnel to allow
IPX-packets to flow. How do I create IPX-packets in Java? Is there any
API for this?

Isn't IPX the Novell protocol, a brother to NETBUI and TCP/IP for
Novell LANs back in the DOS days?

I am surprised there is any need for that protocol any more. Perhaps
someone makes a protocol converter box.

Owen Jacobson

I have a desire to create a client/server application that connects two
(or more) machines over the Internet. I also want this tunnel to allow
IPX-packets to flow. How do I create IPX-packets in Java? Is there any
API for this?

Not in the standard library, no. You'll probably have to write a
native[0] shim that talks to your OS's IPX services, if it has them.
Once you *have* that, the rest is relatively straightforward, though.

Isn't it a little late to be writing a Kali[1] clone?

-o

[0] http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/jni/
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kali_(software)