Java and limiting users...

tiewknvc9

Hi!

Im trying to add some security to a software application that I
developed using Java.

What I would ideally like to do is to be able to sell my application
so that only 1 or 2 users can install and use the application.

So clearly the first thing that I need to do is find out how I can
detect the username of the user who first uses the application, then
limit all future interactions based on that stored value.

ANy ideas?

thx

Knute Johnson

tiewknvc9 said:
Hi!

Im trying to add some security to a software application that I
developed using Java.

What I would ideally like to do is to be able to sell my application
so that only 1 or 2 users can install and use the application.

So clearly the first thing that I need to do is find out how I can
detect the username of the user who first uses the application, then
limit all future interactions based on that stored value.

ANy ideas?

thx

There are a million schemes from hidden files to dongles to server
checkins to strongly worded admonishments but in the end they all can be
defeated or they are expensive and inconvenient. Or they will be such a
pain to the user that they will use something else instead of your
application.

I think the best approach if you are really concerned is the dongle. It
requires the most effort to defeat. It also is the most expensive and
requires that the dongle be delivered physically.

You have to weigh all the options of cost, hassle and effectiveness.
Are you willing to give up 10% for no cost or is $5.00 a unit for a
dongle worth 99% effectiveness?

tiewknvc9

For difficult to crack solutions, seehttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/installer.

for easy to crack, but simple to code solutions, seehttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/preferences.htmlhttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/registry.html

cool, but the difficult to crack link is broken... can you repost a
working link? or is it not your site?

bbound

cool, but the difficult to crack link is broken... can you repost a
working link? or is it not your site?

Why do you want to perform extra work and effort to make your product
less valuable and less useful? And why does Roedy apparently want to
assist people in doing such things?

Andreas Leitgeb

Why do you want to perform extra work and effort to make your product
less valuable and less useful? And why does Roedy apparently want to
assist people in doing such things?

'cause people exist who wanna shoot in their foot,
and others, who help them to follow their route,

Actually I really could hardly care less:
A tool, I won't use, won't cause me no stress.

My only reason for this chime-in:
I've got a faible for rhymin' :)

Eric Sosman

Andreas Leitgeb wrote On 11/26/07 15:43,:
'cause people exist who wanna shoot in their foot,
and others, who help them to follow their route,

Actually I really could hardly care less:
A tool, I won't use, won't cause me no stress.

My only reason for this chime-in:
I've got a faible for rhymin' :)

Enforcement of licensing terms by denial
Gives potential customers, halfway through trial,
A sense you don't trust them, or want them, or care,
A reason to spend software budgets elsewhere.

But still: It's his business, his rules, his decision
To piss off his market despite our derision.
Perhaps he has got them by short and by curly
And can jerk them around, be they never so surly.
He can jump them through hoops, extract money by force
'cause his code has no rival among open source
Solutions his victims might choose to deploy.
Can this business thrive? Just go ask Billy Boy.