    limit all future interactions based on that stored value.

    ANy ideas?

    thx

    tiewknvc9, Nov 24, 2007

  2. tiewknvc9 wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > Im trying to add some security to a software application that I
    > developed using Java.
    >
    > What I would ideally like to do is to be able to sell my application
    > so that only 1 or 2 users can install and use the application.
    >
    > So clearly the first thing that I need to do is find out how I can
    > detect the username of the user who first uses the application, then
    > limit all future interactions based on that stored value.
    >
    > ANy ideas?
    >
    > thx

    There are a million schemes from hidden files to dongles to server
    checkins to strongly worded admonishments but in the end they all can be
    defeated or they are expensive and inconvenient. Or they will be such a
    pain to the user that they will use something else instead of your
    application.

    I think the best approach if you are really concerned is the dongle. It
    requires the most effort to defeat. It also is the most expensive and
    requires that the dongle be delivered physically.

    You have to weigh all the options of cost, hassle and effectiveness.
    Are you willing to give up 10% for no cost or is $5.00 a unit for a
    dongle worth 99% effectiveness?

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/knute/

    Knute Johnson, Nov 24, 2007

  3. tiewknvc9

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 16:33:26 -0800 (PST), tiewknvc9
    said :

    >So clearly the first thing that I need to do is find out how I can
    >detect the username of the user who first uses the application, then
    >limit all future interactions based on that stored value.

    For difficult to crack solutions, see
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/installer.

    for easy to crack, but simple to code solutions, see
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/preferences.html
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/registry.html
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary

    Roedy Green, Nov 24, 2007
  4. tiewknvc9

    tiewknvc9 Guest

    On Nov 24, 3:14 am, Roedy Green <>
    wrote:
    > On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 16:33:26 -0800 (PST), tiewknvc9
    > said :
    >
    > >So clearly the first thing that I need to do is find out how I can
    > >detect the username of the user who first uses the application, then
    > >limit all future interactions based on that stored value.

    > For difficult to crack solutions, seehttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/installer.
    >
    > for easy to crack, but simple to code solutions, seehttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/preferences.htmlhttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/registry.html
    > --
    > Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products

    cool, but the difficult to crack link is broken... can you repost a
    working link? or is it not your site?

    tiewknvc9, Nov 24, 2007
  5. tiewknvc9

    Guest

    On Nov 24, 4:27 pm, tiewknvc9 <> wrote:
    > On Nov 24, 3:14 am, Roedy Green <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 16:33:26 -0800 (PST), tiewknvc9
    > > <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who
    > > said :

    > > >So clearly the first thing that I need to do is find out how I can
    > > >detect the username of the user who first uses the application, then
    > > >limit all future interactions based on that stored value.

    > > For difficult to crack solutions, seehttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/installer.

    > > for easy to crack, but simple to code solutions, seehttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/preferences.htmlhttp://mindprod.com/jgloss...
    > > --
    > > Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products

    > cool, but the difficult to crack link is broken... can you repost a
    > working link? or is it not your site?

    Why do you want to perform extra work and effort to make your product
    less valuable and less useful? And why does Roedy apparently want to
    assist people in doing such things?

    , Nov 26, 2007
  6. <> wrote:
    > Why do you want to perform extra work and effort to make your product
    > less valuable and less useful? And why does Roedy apparently want to
    > assist people in doing such things?

    'cause people exist who wanna shoot in their foot,
    and others, who help them to follow their route,

    Actually I really could hardly care less:
    A tool, I won't use, won't cause me no stress.

    My only reason for this chime-in:
    I've got a faible for rhymin' :)

    Andreas Leitgeb, Nov 26, 2007
  7. tiewknvc9

    Eric Sosman Guest

    Andreas Leitgeb wrote On 11/26/07 15:43,:
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Why do you want to perform extra work and effort to make your product
    >>less valuable and less useful? And why does Roedy apparently want to
    >>assist people in doing such things?

    > 'cause people exist who wanna shoot in their foot,
    > and others, who help them to follow their route,
    >
    > Actually I really could hardly care less:
    > A tool, I won't use, won't cause me no stress.
    >
    > My only reason for this chime-in:
    > I've got a faible for rhymin' :)

    Enforcement of licensing terms by denial
    Gives potential customers, halfway through trial,
    A sense you don't trust them, or want them, or care,
    A reason to spend software budgets elsewhere.

    But still: It's his business, his rules, his decision
    To piss off his market despite our derision.
    Perhaps he has got them by short and by curly
    And can jerk them around, be they never so surly.
    He can jump them through hoops, extract money by force
    'cause his code has no rival among open source
    Solutions his victims might choose to deploy.
    Can this business thrive? Just go ask Billy Boy.

    Eric Sosman, Nov 26, 2007