Java and OLE (MS WORD or Open Office)

Discussion in 'Java' started by Ed, Jul 26, 2005.

  1. Ed

    Ed Guest

    2nd attempt at posting - apologies if duplicate

    Hi
    Im in the process of converting an application from a legacy language into
    Java with Swing GUI and have a requirement to print MS Word documents which
    contain bookmarked fields. The idea being that I update the bookmarks and
    then print/save the document etc.

    Can I do this ? and should I do this or is there a better way of handling
    the printing ?

    For info the MS Word documents are user maintined. ie they can load them up
    into Word , mess around with the wording and then resave them and then start
    the application and do things with the letters. Dont really want to convert
    the 50+ templates into something else, would do so if necessary and user
    editig could be maintained.

    Lastly my company is trying to promote OpenOffice so maybe I should try and
    get Java to talk to this (again with OLE?).

    Thoughts and pointers would be appreciated.
    Ed, Jul 26, 2005