Java and OLE to MS Word (or OpenOffice) ?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Ed, Jul 26, 2005.

  1. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Hi
    Im in the process of converting an application from a legacy language into
    Java with Swing GUI and have a requirement to print MS Word documents which
    contain bookmarked fields. The idea being that I update the bookmarks and
    then print/save the document etc.

    Can I do this ? and should I do this or is there a better way of handling
    the printing ?

    For info the MS Word documents are user maintined. ie they can load them up
    into Word , mess around with the wording and then resave them and then start
    the application and do things with the letters. Dont really want to convert
    the 50+ templates into something else, would do so if necessary and user
    editig could be maintained.

    Lastly my company is trying to promote OpenOffice so maybe I should try and
    get Java to talk to this (again with OLE?).

    Thoughts and pointers would be appreciated.

    Ed, Jul 26, 2005

  2. Ed

    jeak110 Guest

    about MS:
    hm ... just look at this link http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/index.html.
    It's working with MS. I didnt use it, because I find another variant to
    work with MS Excel.

    about OpenOffice: look into .sax files. It's xml.

    jeak110, Jul 27, 2005

  3. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Nope not what I looking for , this appears to allow access to the file
    content, but what I want is to be able to control the MS application itself.
    e.g. send it a command to load a word template , send it multiple field
    names and field values and then tell it to print to its deafult printer.

    Same goes for OpenOffice, I havent read about SAX but how could XML files
    control OpenOffice.

    Any more ideas
    cheers
    Ed