    will be greatly appreaciated.

    Thanks,
    -Pushya

    Pushya, Jun 14, 2004

  2. Pushya

    Nigel Wade Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 11:22:42 -0700, Pushya wrote:

    > Hello -
    >
    > I have a question about integrating Java and RSI IDL(Interactive
    > Data Language). If I wanted to create a java GUI and call pre-written
    > IDL programs(methods in a program too), can that be done? I tried to
    > look up for this information and could not find any! Help or pointers
    > will be greatly appreaciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -Pushya

    I think you have 3 options.

    1) Execute external code from Java to run IDL (Runtime.exec()). You could
    pass in data by writing it to a file from Java and reading it in in IDL.

    3) If you are using IDL 6 and the OS is Windows (not sure which versions),
    Linux, Solaris or Mac OSX you can try the IDL-Java bridge which allows you
    to execute Java code from within IDL and transfer data between (it's not
    for the feint of heart though). I have to say that my initial trials of
    this on Linux were not very encouraging, and since our main platform is
    sgi IRIX, which isn't supported, I didn't pursue it.

    3) Use the IDL RPC interface. Use JNI to interface between your Java GUI
    and an IDL RPC server.

    E-mail :
    Phone : +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555

    Nigel Wade, Jun 15, 2004