Java and Unix Domain sockets

Stuart Clayman

I am trying to get Java to open a UNIX domain socket
in order to interact with an existing piece of software.

I can;t find any reference to this in the Java docs,
at java.sun.com, or searching google.

Has anyone had any success in this area.

stuart

Gordon Beaton

I am trying to get Java to open a UNIX domain socket in order to
interact with an existing piece of software.

I can;t find any reference to this in the Java docs, at
java.sun.com, or searching google.

Searching Google gives several hits, all of them saying basically the
same thing: that Java doesn't support UNIX domain sockets.

You need to use JNI or an external helper program.

/gordon

Marc Rochkind

[snip]
You need to use JNI or an external helper program.

I'm working on a package called Jtux (using JNI) that will handle about 250
POSIX/SUS system calls, including the whole socket API.

It's not ready yet, but anyone who'd like an early release (in a week or
two) can email me.

It will be Open Source under the BSD license.

--Marc