Java and usb ... it is possible, open source and simple ??

Etantonio

Hi,
for a project I need to connect a pc to an usb device and I've to send
and receive data from this device.
Do you think that this could be simply implemented ?? What kind of
library you suggest me ??
Thanks,

Antonio
www.etantonio.it

Joshua Cranmer

Etantonio said:
Hi,
for a project I need to connect a pc to an usb device and I've to send
and receive data from this device.
Do you think that this could be simply implemented ?? What kind of
library you suggest me ??

First off, don't multipost. It fragments discussions, etc. Keep in mind
that many people read many of the different c.l.j.* newsgroups, so you
need only post in one, MAYBE two, anyways.

Second, GIYF: <http://www.google.com/search?q=Java+usb>. jUSB would
probably be your best bet, although it appears to be abandonware.

steve

Hi,
for a project I need to connect a pc to an usb device and I've to send
and receive data from this device.
Do you think that this could be simply implemented ?? What kind of
library you suggest me ??
Thanks,

Antonio
www.etantonio.it

Don't need to make it so complicated.
go for JINI, write a couple of sections of c/c++ code.
You can have it done in a couple of hours .
if your on a mac, examples for read/writing to USB devices from java using
c/c++ libraries are available.

Steve

Sebastian Millies

Am Sat, 06 Dec 2008 14:25:43 -0500 schrieb Joshua Cranmer:
First off, don't multipost. It fragments discussions, etc. Keep in mind
that many people read many of the different c.l.j.* newsgroups, so you
need only post in one, MAYBE two, anyways.

Second, GIYF: <http://www.google.com/search?q=Java+usb>. jUSB would
probably be your best bet, although it appears to be abandonware.

Here's some info on jUSB (from 2003, but may still help):
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/j-usb.html

And here's a bit on creating your own JNI-based Java/USB API:
http://today.java.net/lpt/a/303

Here's a link to a German company ("Bubensoft") who offer a Java/USB API.
You can download it after registering. Installation template, Windows
driver and sample code are included. Note: Everything is in German only.
http://87.174.83.219/home/home.html

Caveat: I've tried none of this myself, because the project for which
I did the research never materialized after all.

-- Sebastian