Java API for SOAP messages

Lorenzo Bettini

Hi

could you please suggest me a (free) Java library for dealing with SOAP
messages (e.g., serializing, deserializing, etc.). I don't actually
need a complete server, only a library.

thanks in advance
Lorenzo

--
Lorenzo Bettini, PhD in Computer Science, DSI, Univ. di Firenze
ICQ# lbetto, 16080134 (GNU/Linux User # 158233)

Lorenzo Bettini

Tomek said:

thanks for the quick response!

I had already taken a look at axis, but do you happen to know whether it
can be used only for soap processing (or do you need to use its server)?

and as for Sun, doesn't it provide anything?

thanks
Lore

--
Lorenzo Bettini, PhD in Computer Science, DSI, Univ. di Firenze
ICQ# lbetto, 16080134 (GNU/Linux User # 158233)
HOME: http://www.lorenzobettini.it
BLOGS: http://tronprog.blogspot.com http://longlivemusic.blogspot.com
http://www.gnu.org/software/src-highlite
http://www.gnu.org/software/gengetopt
http://www.gnu.org/software/gengen http://doublecpp.sourceforge.net

Lew

Lorenzo said:
I had already taken a look at axis, but do you happen to know whether it
can be used only for soap processing (or do you need to use its server)?

Axis is not a server, but a library. "Its" server is Tomcat or JBoss or Sun
Application Server or IBM WebSphere or Oracle Application Server, or BEA's, or ...
and as for Sun, doesn't it provide anything?

Java 6 or the Java Web Services Developer Pack (JWSDP).

"SOAP" is spelled with all upper-case letters in this context.

GIYF.

- Lew

Lorenzo Bettini

Lew said:
Axis is not a server, but a library. "Its" server is Tomcat or JBoss or
Sun Application Server or IBM WebSphere or Oracle Application Server, or
BEA's, or ...

OK, so it should be possible to use only its SOAP features (without
deploy anything)?
Java 6 or the Java Web Services Developer Pack (JWSDP).

you mean this one

http://java.sun.com/webservices/jwsdp/index.jsp

which is now superseded by https://glassfish.dev.java.net... anyone
tried this? It's not clear what I should download to use it... the
whole Java EE 5 SDK?

thanks in advance
Lorenzo

--

Lorenzo said:
OK, so it should be possible to use only its SOAP features (without
deploy anything)?

You will need some Web application server to implement a Web service by the
very nature of the beast.
http://java.sun.com/webservices/jwsdp/index.jsp

which is now superseded by https://glassfish.dev.java.net... anyone
tried this? It's not clear what I should download to use it... the
whole Java EE 5 SDK?

You will need some Web application server to implement a Web service by the
very nature of the beast. You can useGlassfish or ...

JEE is a large rubric for a host of technologies. You only need what you need
from it.

Read and reread the documentation that comes with each Web-service library to
determine how to use it.

- Lew