Java API to convert Microsoft Word to PDF?

Discussion in 'Java' started by sygsix@gmail.com, Jul 25, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hello all. Sorry for the cross-post. I posted in the "Java Programming
    Language" group thinking I was in this group,
    "comp.lang.java.programmer" ...

    I have seen gazillions of messages about this subject, and have
    followed loads of links from Google to home pages for products that do
    just this -- for a price.

    Is there no way to do this *free*? Currently we are using a combination
    of iText and JasperReports to generate PDFs but we also have a case
    where we have a whole bunch of already-generated Microsoft Word docs.
    What I would like to be able to do is emulate the Windows "Print to
    PDF" from my webapp -- create a PDF doc for every Word doc that is
    exactly the same, then save them as BLOBs in the DB.

    The problems are 1) it has to work on a Linux box and 2) I would like
    to be able to do it for x documents all at once. So obviously, loading
    the Word doc, printing to a PDF file and uploading that file to the DB
    isn't gonna fly if the user has to do it 200 times.

    Anyone ever did this without having to buy one of those gigantic and
    expensive professional reporting tools?

    Thanks in advance,
    syg
    , Jul 25, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. wrote:
    > I have seen gazillions of messages about this subject, and have
    > followed loads of links from Google to home pages for products that do
    > just this -- for a price.
    >
    > Is there no way to do this *free*?


    It is even difficult to get this for pay (at least for a non-trivial
    definition of "working") on Linux. And frankly said, I don't begrudge
    [sp?] any penny to a programmer who manages to correctly parse and
    decode any incarnation of the proprietary, badly (if at all) documented
    Word formats.

    As fare as I understand it, the free Apache POI is not ready for
    handling Word. This leaves very few options.

    If it doesn't have to be Java, you could try to use OpenOffice for batch
    processing (in listen mode). OpenOffice is good at importing Word
    documents, but not perfect. You could also try some of the other free
    word processors who do have Word import functions (AFAIR Abiword has one).

    Maybe it is simpler to pay the Microsoft tax for a cheap PC with
    Windows, Word and some VB programmer who hacks some batch processing
    tool for you.

    /Thomas
    --
    The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ:
    ftp://ftp.cs.uu.nl/pub/NEWS.ANSWERS/computer-lang/java/gui/faq
    http://www.uni-giessen.de/faq/archiv/computer-lang.java.gui.faq/
    Thomas Weidenfeller, Jul 25, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. IchBin Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello all. Sorry for the cross-post. I posted in the "Java Programming
    > Language" group thinking I was in this group,
    > "comp.lang.java.programmer" ...
    >
    > I have seen gazillions of messages about this subject, and have
    > followed loads of links from Google to home pages for products that do
    > just this -- for a price.
    >
    > Is there no way to do this *free*? Currently we are using a combination
    > of iText and JasperReports to generate PDFs but we also have a case
    > where we have a whole bunch of already-generated Microsoft Word docs.
    > What I would like to be able to do is emulate the Windows "Print to
    > PDF" from my webapp -- create a PDF doc for every Word doc that is
    > exactly the same, then save them as BLOBs in the DB.
    >
    > The problems are 1) it has to work on a Linux box and 2) I would like
    > to be able to do it for x documents all at once. So obviously, loading
    > the Word doc, printing to a PDF file and uploading that file to the DB
    > isn't gonna fly if the user has to do it 200 times.
    >
    > Anyone ever did this without having to buy one of those gigantic and
    > expensive professional reporting tools?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > syg
    >

    You may want to look at 'PDFCreator'.

    I just downloaded it yesterday and works well. It creates PDF's from any
    Windows program. It installs its own printer driver for creating PDF's.

    Use it like a printer in Word, StarCalc or any other Windows application.

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator

    Home is http://sector7g.wurzel6.de/pdfcreator/
    --


    Thanks in Advance...
    IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA http://weconsultants.servebeer.com
    __________________________________________________________________________

    ' If there is one, Knowledge is the "Fountain of Youth"'
    -William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)
    IchBin, Jul 25, 2005
    #3
  4. IchBin Guest

    IchBin wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> Hello all. Sorry for the cross-post. I posted in the "Java Programming
    >> Language" group thinking I was in this group,
    >> "comp.lang.java.programmer" ...
    >>
    >> I have seen gazillions of messages about this subject, and have
    >> followed loads of links from Google to home pages for products that do
    >> just this -- for a price.
    >>
    >> Is there no way to do this *free*? Currently we are using a combination
    >> of iText and JasperReports to generate PDFs but we also have a case
    >> where we have a whole bunch of already-generated Microsoft Word docs.
    >> What I would like to be able to do is emulate the Windows "Print to
    >> PDF" from my webapp -- create a PDF doc for every Word doc that is
    >> exactly the same, then save them as BLOBs in the DB.
    >>
    >> The problems are 1) it has to work on a Linux box and 2) I would like
    >> to be able to do it for x documents all at once. So obviously, loading
    >> the Word doc, printing to a PDF file and uploading that file to the DB
    >> isn't gonna fly if the user has to do it 200 times.
    >>
    >> Anyone ever did this without having to buy one of those gigantic and
    >> expensive professional reporting tools?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> syg
    >>

    > You may want to look at 'PDFCreator'.
    >
    > I just downloaded it yesterday and works well. It creates PDF's from any
    > Windows program. It installs its own printer driver for creating PDF's.
    >
    > Use it like a printer in Word, StarCalc or any other Windows application.
    >
    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator
    >
    > Home is http://sector7g.wurzel6.de/pdfcreator/


    Sorry, I missed the requirement for Linux.

    --


    Thanks in Advance...
    IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA http://weconsultants.servebeer.com
    __________________________________________________________________________

    ' If there is one, Knowledge is the "Fountain of Youth"'
    -William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)
    IchBin, Jul 25, 2005
    #4
  5. Steve Sobol Guest

    IchBin wrote:

    > You may want to look at 'PDFCreator'.
    >
    > I just downloaded it yesterday and works well. It creates PDF's from any
    > Windows program. It installs its own printer driver for creating PDF's.
    >
    > Use it like a printer in Word, StarCalc or any other Windows application.
    >
    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator
    >
    > Home is http://sector7g.wurzel6.de/pdfcreator/


    Here's another pointer:

    ActivePDF, the company that publishes commercially licensed ActiveX
    components for generating and manipulating PDF files, also publishes
    PrimoPDF, which allows you to "print to PDF" in much the same way and is
    free. You have nowhere near as much control over the output (understandably,
    since they want you to buy their ActiveX components), but it may be good
    enough for your purposes.

    http://www.primopdf.com/

    --
    Steve Sobol, Professional Geek 888-480-4638 PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
    Company website: http://JustThe.net/
    Personal blog, resume, portfolio: http://SteveSobol.com/
    E: Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307
    Steve Sobol, Jul 25, 2005
    #5
  6. Guest

    Thanks for all the responses.

    Unfortunately, this has to work on Linux so I can't use any printer
    driver solution. Besides that, this is a J2EE web application, so what
    I need it to do is, when the user clicks a button a Struts Action is
    called that loads any number of Word docs from the database and
    converts them to PDF. So what I really need is an API, not a driver or
    a 3rd-party application.

    I'll keep looking ...
    syg

    Steve Sobol wrote:
    > IchBin wrote:
    >
    > > You may want to look at 'PDFCreator'.
    > >
    > > I just downloaded it yesterday and works well. It creates PDF's from any
    > > Windows program. It installs its own printer driver for creating PDF's.
    > >
    > > Use it like a printer in Word, StarCalc or any other Windows application.
    > >
    > > http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator
    > >
    > > Home is http://sector7g.wurzel6.de/pdfcreator/

    >
    > Here's another pointer:
    >
    > ActivePDF, the company that publishes commercially licensed ActiveX
    > components for generating and manipulating PDF files, also publishes
    > PrimoPDF, which allows you to "print to PDF" in much the same way and is
    > free. You have nowhere near as much control over the output (understandably,
    > since they want you to buy their ActiveX components), but it may be good
    > enough for your purposes.
    >
    > http://www.primopdf.com/
    >
    > --
    > Steve Sobol, Professional Geek 888-480-4638 PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
    > Company website: http://JustThe.net/
    > Personal blog, resume, portfolio: http://SteveSobol.com/
    > E: Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307
    , Jul 26, 2005
    #6
  7. sujithjm

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    word to html/pdf

    did you find any convertor?

    I have been searchning for whole day.. apache POI - well still in infancy stage.. did you have any luck?
    sujithjm, Sep 29, 2008
    #7
  8. zett

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    dancrintea.ro/doc-to-pdf/
    zett, Feb 3, 2009
    #8
  9. Qoppa_Susan

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2010
    Messages:
    2
    Location:
    Woodstock, GA
    jWordConvert by Qoppa Software is a 100% java library, runs on linux, and can convert Word documents to PDF.
    Qoppa_Susan, Jan 6, 2011
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Charles A. Lackman
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,330
    smith
    Dec 8, 2004
  2. SpamProof
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    534
    SpamProof
    Oct 21, 2003
  3. Craig
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    3,452
    SunnySue
    Mar 2, 2011
  4. KYG
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    875
    Ian Collins
    Aug 18, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page