Java App CD Deployment...

Discussion in 'Java' started by Jim Crowell, Jul 6, 2005.

  1. Jim Crowell

    Jim Crowell Guest

    I am developing a simple Java Stand Alone App that shall be deployed on a CD
    and executed via AutoRun when the CD is inserted.

    The App will have a few menu selections that shall launch System Apps like
    the Default Internet Browser OR the default Quick Time Movie Player. I also
    will launch another java program that I shall write to select and display
    [full screen] .jpg digital photo's.

    I thought I could load the JRE and the .class Java files [or a JAAR file] on
    the CD and execute the App from the CD.

    In my reading so far it sounds more complex.
    It reads like I'll have to install the JRE on my users system before I
    launch my App OR install Web Start.

    Ideally the End Users PC will not know I've been there, i.e. everything will
    be run from the CD.

    I think that this is a common requirement and that I am overlooking
    something.

    Can someone please point me to someplace that would explain my options?

    Regards,
    Jim...

    Jim Crowell, Jul 6, 2005

  2. Jim Crowell

    Steve Sobol Guest

    Jim Crowell wrote:

    > Can someone please point me to someplace that would explain my options?

    Some of the programs that build Java installers allow you to bundle and
    install the app and a JVM with one click... or one double-click in most cases.

    --
    JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

    "Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"

    Steve Sobol, Jul 6, 2005

  3. Jim Crowell

    Jim Crowell Guest

    Steve,

    >> Can someone please point me to someplace that would explain my options?

    > Some of the programs that build Java installers allow you to bundle and
    > install the app and a JVM with one click... or one double-click in most
    > cases.

    Thanks. I just read up on some Java Installers.
    They are new to me.

    I guess I've been fooolish about using Java.

    I thought I could provide my JAR and the JRE to in effect produce an
    executable environment to run my program.

    Installers appear to be nice in that they go thru all the mechanics to
    determine if the required Java version is installed and if not, then
    proceeds to do the necessary install.

    I am working on a large Java Project that will most likely require an
    installer or JNLP or WebStart.
    But for this simple project I can not see forcing a Java install on my End
    User.

    I guess, unless a better idea surfaces in this thread, I'll just write some
    HTML to do most of what I want and look for a Java Script to do the image
    display processing I require.

    Another option would be to find some code that would produce a native
    executable for my little app.
    I need a Windows and a Mac OS X version only.

    Thanks again,
    Jim...

    Jim Crowell, Jul 7, 2005
  4. Jim Crowell

    IchBin Guest

    Jim Crowell wrote:
    > Steve,
    >
    >>> Can someone please point me to someplace that would explain my options?

    >> Some of the programs that build Java installers allow you to bundle and
    >> install the app and a JVM with one click... or one double-click in most
    >> cases.

    > Thanks. I just read up on some Java Installers.
    > They are new to me.
    >
    > I guess I've been fooolish about using Java.
    >
    > I thought I could provide my JAR and the JRE to in effect produce an
    > executable environment to run my program.
    >
    > Installers appear to be nice in that they go thru all the mechanics to
    > determine if the required Java version is installed and if not, then
    > proceeds to do the necessary install.
    >
    > I am working on a large Java Project that will most likely require an
    > installer or JNLP or WebStart.
    > But for this simple project I can not see forcing a Java install on my End
    > User.
    >
    > I guess, unless a better idea surfaces in this thread, I'll just write some
    > HTML to do most of what I want and look for a Java Script to do the image
    > display processing I require.
    >
    > Another option would be to find some code that would produce a native
    > executable for my little app.
    > I need a Windows and a Mac OS X version only.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > Jim...

    To build a native windows exec you can use look at JSmooth.

    http://jsmooth.sourceforge.net/

    --

    Thanks in Advance...
    IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA

    ' If there is one, Knowledge is the "Fountain of Youth"'
    -William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

    IchBin, Jul 7, 2005
  5. Jim Crowell

    Skip Guest

    "Jim Crowell" <> wrote in message

    > I guess I've been fooolish about using Java.
    >
    > I thought I could provide my JAR and the JRE to in effect produce an
    > executable environment to run my program.

    This is true. You don't have to install a JRE for it to work. Just copy and
    paste a JRE-directory and then use it (link to it with a batch-file, or
    something more fancy).

    This way your app will work out-of-the-box without the requirement to
    install *anything* !

    HTH

    Skip, Jul 7, 2005
  6. Jim Crowell wrote:
    > In my reading so far it sounds more complex.
    > It reads like I'll have to install the JRE on my users system before I
    > launch my App OR install Web Start.

    All JREs which I have seen didn't need to be installed and could be run
    from e.g. a CD. You will have to add some operating-system specific
    launcher on top of it, which selects a matching JRE for the particular
    OS. You will also miss desktop integration, plug-in installation,
    registration of file types if you don't install the JRE. But it should run.

    /Thomas

    --
    The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ:

    Thomas Weidenfeller, Jul 7, 2005
  7. Jim Crowell

    Tom N Guest

    Thomas Weidenfeller wrote:

    > Jim Crowell wrote:
    >> In my reading so far it sounds more complex.
    >> It reads like I'll have to install the JRE on my users system before
    >> I launch my App OR install Web Start.

    > All JREs which I have seen didn't need to be installed and could be
    > run from e.g. a CD. You will have to add some operating-system
    > specific launcher on top of it, which selects a matching JRE for the
    > particular OS. You will also miss desktop integration, plug-in
    > installation, registration of file types if you don't install the JRE.
    > But it should run.

    Does the JRE licence permit you to distribute it in "installed" form or only in original as-supplied-by-Sun form?

    Tom N, Jul 7, 2005
  8. Tom N wrote:
    > Does the JRE licence permit you to distribute it in "installed" form or only in original as-supplied-by-Sun form?

    Of course I can and I will not give you (or anyone else :)) legal
    advice. If you need qualified legal, reliable advice you have to consult
    a lawyer and/or ask Sun.

    That said: What I know is that is worked in the past and that people
    have done it.

    I also find the jre/README file in the JRE very instructive. But that is
    probably just me. Note that it is different from the main JDK README file.

    /Thomas

    --
    The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ:

    Thomas Weidenfeller, Jul 7, 2005
  9. Jim Crowell

    Guest

    Skip wrote:
    > "Jim Crowell" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > I guess I've been fooolish about using Java.
    > >
    > > I thought I could provide my JAR and the JRE to in effect produce an
    > > executable environment to run my program.

    > This is true. You don't have to install a JRE for it to work. Just copy and
    > paste a JRE-directory and then use it (link to it with a batch-file, or
    > something more fancy).
    >
    > This way your app will work out-of-the-box without the requirement to
    > install *anything* !

    Thanks. That worked fine with one strange exception.

    I am testing with a "Hello World" Java App.
    I use ShellRun and point it to a batch file that has the following
    line:
    \jre\bin\java.exe -jar STA55_CD.jar

    It works fine on my Win 98 Test node but acts strange on my XP Test
    Node.

    With the CD AutoRun, on the XP Node, it executes the above line but I
    never see the SysOut Println.

    Any ideas?

    Jim...

    , Jul 9, 2005
  10. Jim Crowell

    Guest

    Tom,

    I'm almost there except for some Win XP problem [see skip reply].

    Your reply also set made me aware of the need to implement different
    /jre's for each OS.

    I would not have thought of that.

    Regards,
    Jim...