Java App CD Deployment...

Jim Crowell

I am developing a simple Java Stand Alone App that shall be deployed on a CD
and executed via AutoRun when the CD is inserted.

The App will have a few menu selections that shall launch System Apps like
the Default Internet Browser OR the default Quick Time Movie Player. I also
will launch another java program that I shall write to select and display
[full screen] .jpg digital photo's.

I thought I could load the JRE and the .class Java files [or a JAAR file] on
the CD and execute the App from the CD.

In my reading so far it sounds more complex.
It reads like I'll have to install the JRE on my users system before I
launch my App OR install Web Start.

Ideally the End Users PC will not know I've been there, i.e. everything will
be run from the CD.

I think that this is a common requirement and that I am overlooking
something.

Can someone please point me to someplace that would explain my options?

Regards,
Jim...

Steve Sobol

Jim said:
Can someone please point me to someplace that would explain my options?

Some of the programs that build Java installers allow you to bundle and
install the app and a JVM with one click... or one double-click in most cases.

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / (e-mail address removed) / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"

Jim Crowell

Steve,
Some of the programs that build Java installers allow you to bundle and
install the app and a JVM with one click... or one double-click in most
cases.

Thanks. I just read up on some Java Installers.
They are new to me.

I guess I've been fooolish about using Java.

I thought I could provide my JAR and the JRE to in effect produce an
executable environment to run my program.

Installers appear to be nice in that they go thru all the mechanics to
determine if the required Java version is installed and if not, then
proceeds to do the necessary install.

I am working on a large Java Project that will most likely require an
installer or JNLP or WebStart.
But for this simple project I can not see forcing a Java install on my End
User.

I guess, unless a better idea surfaces in this thread, I'll just write some
HTML to do most of what I want and look for a Java Script to do the image
display processing I require.

Another option would be to find some code that would produce a native
executable for my little app.
I need a Windows and a Mac OS X version only.

Thanks again,
Jim...

IchBin

Jim said:
Steve,

[...]

To build a native windows exec you can use look at JSmooth.

http://jsmooth.sourceforge.net/

--

Thanks in Advance...
IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA

' If there is one, Knowledge is the "Fountain of Youth"'
-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

Skip

I guess I've been fooolish about using Java.

I thought I could provide my JAR and the JRE to in effect produce an
executable environment to run my program.

This is true. You don't have to install a JRE for it to work. Just copy and
paste a JRE-directory and then use it (link to it with a batch-file, or
something more fancy).

This way your app will work out-of-the-box without the requirement to
install *anything* !

HTH

Thomas Weidenfeller

Jim said:
In my reading so far it sounds more complex.
It reads like I'll have to install the JRE on my users system before I
launch my App OR install Web Start.

All JREs which I have seen didn't need to be installed and could be run
from e.g. a CD. You will have to add some operating-system specific
launcher on top of it, which selects a matching JRE for the particular
OS. You will also miss desktop integration, plug-in installation,
registration of file types if you don't install the JRE. But it should run.

/Thomas

Tom N

Thomas said:
All JREs which I have seen didn't need to be installed and could be
run from e.g. a CD. You will have to add some operating-system
specific launcher on top of it, which selects a matching JRE for the
particular OS. You will also miss desktop integration, plug-in
installation, registration of file types if you don't install the JRE.
But it should run.

Does the JRE licence permit you to distribute it in "installed" form or only in original as-supplied-by-Sun form?

Thomas Weidenfeller

Tom said:
Does the JRE licence permit you to distribute it in "installed" form or only in original as-supplied-by-Sun form?

Of course I can and I will not give you (or anyone else :)) legal
advice. If you need qualified legal, reliable advice you have to consult
a lawyer and/or ask Sun.

That said: What I know is that is worked in the past and that people
have done it.

I also find the jre/README file in the JRE very instructive. But that is
probably just me. Note that it is different from the main JDK README file.

/Thomas

JimCrowell

Skip said:
This is true. You don't have to install a JRE for it to work. Just copy and
paste a JRE-directory and then use it (link to it with a batch-file, or
something more fancy).

This way your app will work out-of-the-box without the requirement to
install *anything* !

Thanks. That worked fine with one strange exception.

I am testing with a "Hello World" Java App.
I use ShellRun and point it to a batch file that has the following
line:
\jre\bin\java.exe -jar STA55_CD.jar

It works fine on my Win 98 Test node but acts strange on my XP Test
Node.

With the CD AutoRun, on the XP Node, it executes the above line but I
never see the SysOut Println.

Any ideas?

Jim...

JimCrowell

Tom,

I'm almost there except for some Win XP problem [see skip reply].

Your reply also set made me aware of the need to implement different
/jre's for each OS.

I would not have thought of that.

Regards,
Jim...