Java Applet 1.5 plugin support for IE

Discussion in 'Java' started by ThierryBrunWorkShop@gmail.com, Feb 15, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    I am trying to get the java applet i've written to autodl a current
    version of the java runtime on a machine that doesn't have it
    installed. I have discovered how this is done on an HTML page using
    OBJECT (and Embed).

    I have tried to trigger the autodl to dl the java runtime, 1.5.0.06.
    It works by installing the java runtime, but when the install is
    complete the applet is not run. The location where the java logo should
    be flashing is just blank.
    If I click refresh of the page, I am prompted once again to install the
    runtime libraries.
    If I REBOOT the machine, once I click on the html page, my applet runs
    and everything is fine.

    So, my question. Does Java require a REBOOT of the machine upon
    install?? I thought this wasn't the case. Why does refreshing the
    page cause the installer to launch once again?? Is my html code
    incorrect? Please look at the "...cab#version1,5,0,06" part. Is that
    the correct way to specify this patch version? my code snippet is
    shown below.

    (I've tried this autolaunch with the 1.4.2 version of java, and
    although it actually prompts you to reboot the machine, if you click
    no, the applet will run fine.)

    Yes, the netscape part is just dealing with 1.4.2, because I haven't
    tried seeing if later versions will work.

    Thanks!
    Thierry

    <OBJECT classid="clsid:CAFEEFAC-0014-0002-0000-ABCDEFFEDCBA"
    width="400" height="100" align="baseline"

    codebase="http://java.sun.com/update/1.5.0/jinstall-1_5_0_06-windows-i586.cab#Version=1,5,0,06">
    <PARAM name="code" value="myapplet.class">
    <PARAM name="archive" value="myappletjar.jar">
    <PARAM name="type"
    value="application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.5.0_06">
    <PARAM name="scriptable" value="true">

    <COMMENT>
    <EMBED type="application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4"
    width="400"
    height="100" align="baseline"
    code="myapplet.class"
    Archive="myappletjar.jar"

    pluginspage="http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html">
    <NOEMBED>
    No Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition v 1.4.2 support for
    APPLET!!
    </NOEMBED>
    </EMBED
    </COMMENT>