java applet alternate text

Jimbo

I have a website & applet produced under Windows-XP. It works fine. I took
it to a machine running Windows 98 & an earlier version of Java to test what
happens when I open the web page using IE6 & FireFox. The html invoking the
applet is:

<applet code="assumptions.class" archive="popproj.jar" width='760'
height='340'>
This applet was coded using Java 1.5.0_08-b03.</applet>

Instead of the expected text, both browsers said "Loading Java Applet
Failed...". How do I display the explanatory text?

Andrew Thompson

I have a website & applet produced under Windows-XP. It works fine. I took
it to a machine running Windows 98 & an earlier version of Java to test what
happens when I open the web page using IE6 & FireFox. The html invoking the
applet is:

<applet code="assumptions.class" archive="popproj.jar"

alt='Java must be enabled for this applet to work'
..width='760'
height='340'>
This applet was coded using Java 1.5.0_08-b03.</applet>

Instead of the expected text, both browsers ..

Browsers, or MS' OS component?
...said "Loading Java Applet
Failed...". How do I display the explanatory text?

Try the 'alt' attribute, but some
PC/browser/plug-in/security setting
combinations will simply present a big
gray square (and not even a message),
no matter what you do.

You are better off looking to JWS, to
launch applets.
E.G. <http://www.physci.org/jws/#jtest>

HTH

Andrew T.

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Andrew Thompson:
alt='Java must be enabled for this applet to work'

Do you think that would be an ALTernative way of presenting the information
that would be conveyed by the applet if it were run?

That's of course very clueless. The content of an <applet> element is
supposed to specify an alternative content, not to act as a comment.

Thus, I think we can safely assume that the applet has no useful purpose,
so - assuming that it is retained - its content should be empty, and it
should have alt="" to signal that.
Try the 'alt' attribute, but some
PC/browser/plug-in/security setting
combinations will simply present a big
gray square (and not even a message),
no matter what you do.

Indeed. That's one reason for avoiding Java applets on web pages. But if you
use them, the alternatives should make sense. One of the few browsers with
_adequate_ support to <applet>, Lynx, displays first the content of the alt
attribute, then the content of the element (excluding <param> elements of
course), so there should be no duplication in them. And, of course, if the
"alternative content" just babbles about software that the user is not using
and won't use, it will be a useful cluelessness indication.

murari garg

I have a website & applet produced under Windows-XP. It works fine. I took
it to a machine running Windows 98 & an earlier version of Java to test what
happens when I open the web page using IE6 & FireFox. The html invoking the
applet is:

<applet code="assumptions.class" archive="popproj.jar" width='760'
height='340'>
This applet was coded using Java 1.5.0_08-b03.</applet>

Instead of the expected text, both browsers said "Loading Java Applet
Failed...". How do I display the explanatory text?

i think when you were running your java programme then might be some
of the options in internet explorer for running java have some
problems.
you can check them by for(ie 6)

1. open internet explorer
2. go to tools and then options
3. in options go to advance options
4. you will see java small logo check that options
5. restart your computer

hope that this will going to solve your problem