Java Applet over Proxy Problem

Discussion in 'Java' started by Gary M, Jun 4, 2005.

  1. Gary M

    Gary M Guest

    An applet using HttpURLConnection within a Java Applet. Snippet as follows:

    HttpURLConnection urlConn = (HttpURLConnection)destURL
    .openConnection( );
    urlConn.setDoOutput( true );
    urlConn.setDoInput( true );
    urlConn.setUseCaches( false );
    urlConn.setAllowUserInteraction( false );
    urlConn.setRequestProperty( "Content-type","multipart/form-data" );
    urlConn.setRequestProperty( "Content-length","" + parameters.length( );

    This works fine with numerous proxy servers and other network
    topologies, except one. The issue I am told occurs when we are trying to
    connect over https. For background, this causes the Java Plug-in to

    * invoke the http CONNECT command
    * wait for the 200 OK indicating that the secure tunnel is established
    * then send the request securely.

    Doing a packet trace shows that the above headers set in the code are
    actually being _included_ with the CONNECT. However the Java Plug
    (1.4.2_06) does not sent the body with the CONNECT. I am told this
    causes the proxy to wait for an entity that never arrive, because, on
    the other end the plug-in is waiting for 200 OK. After 8 secs the
    plug-in resets the connection and fails.

    Packet traces on other proxies show the same content-length header being
    included, but they decide ignore it. From Googling I note some folks
    claim that this is expected, because CONNECT is non-entity enclosing.
    Doc's are scant on the CONNECT command. In some cases they seem to imply
    that no data should go with the CONNECT (making it non-entity
    enclosing), but later they state it supports data-pipelining, making the
    content-length relevant, as the CONNECT may well contain an entity.

    Moreover, is the intent of Applet Framework to insulate the programmer
    from having to worry about issues like this? For example this Applet can
    and does connect to a myriad of HTTP/1.1 or 1.0 server through a proxy
    or not; in the case of no proxy or non secure proxy, the content-length
    header is valid as the request goes out in one go with associated
    headers. So writing the code as above, does not seem to be inherently
    flawed, IMO. <-- And that is a question too :).

    I note there is an isProxy() method, but this can only be determined
    after connection (obviously) and parameters cannot be changed once the
    connection is made. So creating a dummy connection first is possible I
    suppose, but it seems a slippery slope to start coding for exceptions
    like this, unless absolutely necessary.

    On the face of it, it could be argued that this appears to be a bug in
    the plug-in but with very little hits in google I am doubtful. To that
    end, does anyone have any thoughts or experience with either working
    around the problem (it would seem to be a pity to have to have a setting
    per client), or whether in fact this proxy server is being too draconian
    in its interpretation.

    Thanks in advance,

    Gary

    Refs: