Java applet problem

Discussion in 'Java' started by BillW, Apr 29, 2006.

  1. BillW

    BillW Guest

    I have had a problem with Java since upgrading one of our computers from
    Windows ME to XP. Java applets won't run. I have uninstalled and
    reinstalled Java, checked all the settings according to message posts as
    well as information I could gather on the internet. We have another PC that
    was XP from the beginning and Java applets run okay on it. I sync'd all
    Explorer settings between the 2 computers making all settings equal to the
    computer on which Java runs and I still have the problem.

    I stopped trying to resolve this a few months ago and assumed that if there
    was anything we wanted to look at that required Java, we would just use the
    computer that does run Java. Now there is something I would like to run on
    the java impaired computer that needs Java. I am asking one more time if
    anyone has an idea of how I might get Java running. My daughter has 2
    computers almost identical to ours and her ME to XP computer will not run
    Java either. Java ran fine under ME but not now since the XP upgrade that
    occurred over a year ago.

    As an example, 2 sites that will not run are Broadband Reports and Pogo.
    When running speed test on Broadband Reports, I get the little box with an
    "x" in it when the site attempts to display the start test button. When
    trying to start a game on Pogo, it just tells me that Java will not run on
    my computer. The Sun Java site test tells me that Java is installed
    correctly on my computer and offers the little game as a test. The game
    will play, but that's the extent of my success with Java.

    Add/Remove Programs has an entry for J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6.
    When I open the Java entry in the Control Panel, "About" shows 2 Platform
    Standard Edition from Sun. The problem computer is a Dell Pentium 3 running
    XP SP2 will all updates current.

    Thank you for your help.
    BillW, Apr 29, 2006

  2. BillW

    Mickey Segal Guest

    Do you see a purple rectangle under the words "Java configuration
    information" on www.segal.org/java/config/ ? If so, what does it say? If
    not, what does it say for navigator.javaEnabled under "JavaScript

    Mickey Segal, Apr 29, 2006

  3. BillW

    Bill W Guest

    Mickey,

    Thank you very much for your help with this problem. I do not see a purple
    rectangle under "Java configuration information." A line a text states
    "Your browser is not set to run Java applets."

    The following are the lines of text under "JavaScript configuration
    information"

    navigator.appName = Microsoft Internet Explorer
    navigator.appVersion = 4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET
    CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)
    navigator.userAgent = Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1;
    SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)
    navigator.vendorSub = undefined
    navigator.javaEnabled() = true
    navigator.platform = Win32
    navigator.vendor = undefined

    Thank you again for your help.

    Bill W, Apr 29, 2006
  4. BillW

    Mickey Segal Guest

    If you have gone to Add / Remove and removed Java and then re-installed Java
    it sounds like the problem is some browser setting or something that got
    corrupted. If this happened on several computes it sounds more like a
    settings problem. I don't have any instant ideas; maybe someone else does.

    About a year of two ago there was a buggy Microsoft Java removal tool that
    disabled all Java, not just Microsoft Java. The tool was pulled very quickly
    so very few computers were affected.

    Mickey Segal, Apr 29, 2006
  5. BillW

    Mickey Segal Guest

    Some other things to check:

    1. In "Internet Options" "Advanced" tab, Java (Sun) heading, make sure that
    "Use JRE ..." is checkmarked.
    2. In "Internet Options" "Security" tab after clicking "Custom Level" find
    "Scripting of
    Java Applets" and made sure the "Enable" button is selected.
    3. In "Tools" "Manage Add-Ons" find "Sun Java Console" and make sure it is
    enabled.

    You may need to restart the browser for some settings to take effect.

    Mickey Segal, Apr 30, 2006
  6. BillW

    BillW Guest

    Mickey,

    Thank you again for your help. I looked at all settings and they were
    already set as you indicated.

    BillW, Apr 30, 2006
  7. BillW

    Mickey Segal Guest

    Keep us posted if you figure this out. It would be good to help others in
    the same rut.

    Mickey Segal, Apr 30, 2006
  8. BillW

    BillW Guest

    I have one more question. I mentioned that we have 2 computers running XP
    here at the house. One runs Java without a problem. The one that runs Java
    has an entry in IE Advanced options for Microsoft VM and the computer that
    will not run Java does not have the entry. Both have an entry for Sun Java.
    Could this be part of the problem? If so, can I or should I download and
    install Microsoft VM? If I should, where can I get it? Thanks again for
    your help.

    BillW, May 1, 2006
  9. BillW

    Mickey Segal Guest

    It is getting harder to find the MS JVM but this looks like a reliable
    download site:
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/javavm.html

    Do you think anyone might have used the ill-fated Microsoft Java removal
    tool on the affected computers? That could explain your problem, but it is
    unlikely because it was out for a very short time and was pulled before many
    people were affected.

    Mickey Segal, May 1, 2006
  10. BillW

    Bill W Guest

    I don't think so. I'll try loading MS JVM and let you know what happens.
    Thanks again.

    Bill W, May 1, 2006
  11. BillW

    Mickey Segal Guest

    Another thing to try is Internet Options | Security options that mention
    ActiveX. In some situations Microsoft treats many add-ins as if they use
    ActiveX.

    BTW, it should not be necessary for a straightforward applet to do this
    operation that I listed previously:

    2. In "Internet Options" "Security" tab after clicking "Custom Level" find
    "Scripting of Java Applets" and made sure the "Enable" button is selected.

    I don't think #3 is needed either unless you need a Java Console:

    Mickey Segal, May 1, 2006
  12. BillW

    BillW Guest

    Re: Java applet problem - it's fixed!!!!

    Mickey,

    Installing Microsoft VM fixed it!!! Thank you very much for your help. I
    can't tell you how many things I have tried that were offered from various
    forums and internet sites. I have had this problem since upgrading from ME
    to XP over a year ago. It was strange because during trouble shooting
    efforts on the Microsoft site, I would be directed to a Bejeweled game on
    MSN Game Zone and was told that if I could play the game, Java was installed
    correctly - I could play the game. Still, simple applets like the start
    button on DSL Reports would only show a box with an "x." I tried to run a
    cribbage game on Pogo and was told that Java was not installed. I went back
    to DSL Reports and Pogo after installing MS VM and both sites now run
    without a problem.

    I want to thank you again for your diligence and for all your efforts in
    helping me solve this very frustrating and long-standing problem. Thank
    you, thank you, thank you. You're the best!

    Bill

    BillW, May 1, 2006