Java applet - servlet communication

M B HONG 20

Hi all-
I am developing an ASP.NET web application (in C#). There is a
separate server-side application running, which checks various things
and will decide if the user's screen will need to refresh. Is this
possible through a java applet? I have investigated polling, remote
scripting, and many other alternatives, but this option seems to be the
best and most efficient. Also, I need this to work with Internet
Explorer 5+ and Netscape 7. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Dag Sunde

M B HONG 20 said:
Hi all-
I am developing an ASP.NET web application (in C#). There is a
separate server-side application running, which checks various things
and will decide if the user's screen will need to refresh. Is this
possible through a java applet? I have investigated polling, remote
scripting, and many other alternatives, but this option seems to be the
best and most efficient. Also, I need this to work with Internet
Explorer 5+ and Netscape 7. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

But your Applet will have to check regularly with the server-side app,
and that is polling as good as anything. Or where you thinking about
something else?

Yes, the polling via an Java Applet to a ss-app is very doable, but send
some more info. If you end up polling, you might as well use JavaScript
and XMLHttp.

M B HONG 20

Dag, thanks for the reply.

I was wondering if there was a way to somehow issue a "server push" to
refresh the browser through a java applet, meaning no polling would be
necessary from the client to the server application. And since this
will be an intranet app, bandwidth issues are not really of a concern,
so javascript polling would also be plausible. However, i cannot think
of a way to actually call the C# functions from the client side script
code. I have looked into Remote Scripting and web services, but they
dont seem to work with Netscape 7. And oh yea, i successfully have my
code behind for my web page accessing functions from the separate
server application through Remoting, and if i could make those calls
within the client code that would be a good solution.

Charles.