    best and most efficient. Also, I need this to work with Internet
    Explorer 5+ and Netscape 7. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    M B HONG 20, Jun 15, 2005

  2. M B HONG 20

    Dag Sunde Guest

    "M B HONG 20" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all-
    > I am developing an ASP.NET web application (in C#). There is a
    > separate server-side application running, which checks various things
    > and will decide if the user's screen will need to refresh. Is this
    > possible through a java applet? I have investigated polling, remote
    > scripting, and many other alternatives, but this option seems to be the
    > best and most efficient. Also, I need this to work with Internet
    > Explorer 5+ and Netscape 7. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    But your Applet will have to check regularly with the server-side app,
    and that is polling as good as anything. Or where you thinking about
    something else?

    Yes, the polling via an Java Applet to a ss-app is very doable, but send
    some more info. If you end up polling, you might as well use JavaScript
    and XMLHttp.

    --
    Dag.
    Dag Sunde, Jun 16, 2005

  3. M B HONG 20

    M B HONG 20 Guest

    Dag, thanks for the reply.

    I was wondering if there was a way to somehow issue a "server push" to
    refresh the browser through a java applet, meaning no polling would be
    necessary from the client to the server application. And since this
    will be an intranet app, bandwidth issues are not really of a concern,
    so javascript polling would also be plausible. However, i cannot think
    of a way to actually call the C# functions from the client side script
    code. I have looked into Remote Scripting and web services, but they
    dont seem to work with Netscape 7. And oh yea, i successfully have my
    code behind for my web page accessing functions from the separate
    server application through Remoting, and if i could make those calls
    within the client code that would be a good solution.

    Charles.
    M B HONG 20, Jun 17, 2005