Java applets run locally now blocked by Windows XP SP2

Discussion in 'Java' started by Mickey Segal, Aug 25, 2004.

  1. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    After installation of the Windows XP SP2 update, Java applets running
    locally get blocked by Internet Explorer for Windows. This occurs even for
    simple Java applets, such as the "Hello world" applet at
    http://segal.org/java/Hello/ (when run locally, not from the Web). This
    occurs regardless of whether Internet Explorer is using the Microsoft or Sun
    JVM.

    IE's new yellow "Information Bar" appears, warning "To help protect your
    security, Internet Explorer has restricted this file from showing active
    content that could access your computer. Click here for options..."

    I had heard there was a new file property that could be set to overrule this
    behavior for individual files, but I don't see it. It seems the choices are
    to turn off all ActiveX protection or approve the same HTML file calling a
    Java applet every time it is run.

    I use APPLET tags; it would be interesting to know if this problem could be
    avoided using OBJECT tags.

    Are there any good workarounds for this problem?

    Mickey Segal, Aug 25, 2004

  2. Mickey Segal

    Paul Lutus Guest

    Mickey Segal wrote:

    > After installation of the Windows XP SP2 update, Java applets running
    > locally get blocked by Internet Explorer for Windows.

    / ...

    > Are there any good workarounds for this problem?

    Yep. Don't design your site with pop-ups.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

    Paul Lutus, Aug 26, 2004

  3. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    "Paul Lutus" <> wrote in message
    > Mickey Segal wrote:
    >
    >> After installation of the Windows XP SP2 update, Java applets running
    >> locally get blocked by Internet Explorer for Windows.

    >> Are there any good workarounds for this problem?

    > Yep. Don't design your site with pop-ups.

    This thread has nothing to do with the "showDocument blocked by new
    microsoft pop-up blocker" thread. The problem discussed in this thread
    occurs for a simple "Hello world" applet run locally (the same applet as at
    http://segal.org/java/Hello/ but run locally).

    (Incidentally pop-up Java Frames are not blocked by Microsoft's pop-up
    blocker; the problem in the other thread only affects showDocument).

    Mickey Segal, Aug 26, 2004
  4. Mickey Segal

    Ike Guest

    Mickey,

    Wow.....have you figured or encountered a resolution for this yet? I have
    not yet installed SP2, but I am wondering if it isn;t the new embedded
    firewall in there that may be causing this? -Ike

    Ike, Aug 26, 2004
  5. On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:43:13 -0400, Mickey Segal wrote:

    > After installation of the Windows XP SP2 update, Java applets running
    > locally get blocked by Internet Explorer for Windows. This occurs even for
    > simple Java applets, such as the "Hello world" applet at
    > http://segal.org/java/Hello/ (when run locally, not from the Web). This
    > occurs regardless of whether Internet Explorer is using the Microsoft or Sun
    > JVM.
    >
    > IE's new yellow "Information Bar" appears, warning "To help protect your
    > security, Internet Explorer has restricted this file from showing active
    > content that could access your computer. Click here for options..."

    Are you saying that you have to override,
    or specifically tell, IE *each* *time*
    you want to load that 14 line
    'Hello World' applet?

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Aug 26, 2004
  6. Mickey Segal

    Philip Patel Guest

    Look at the site, www.phdcc.com/xpsp2.htm

    They explain how to allow CD and local active content to run. It's
    under Internet Options, Advanced, Security

    It worked for my local files

    Philip Patel, Aug 27, 2004
  7. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    "Philip Patel" <> wrote in message
    > Look at the site, www.phdcc.com/xpsp2.htm
    >
    > They explain how to allow CD and local active content to run. It's
    > under Internet Options, Advanced, Security
    >
    > It worked for my local files

    The "Internet Options, Advanced, Security" approach worked for me too.
    Thanks. However, users are not likely to do such fiddling, as the phdcc.com
    document notes, so I've used the "Mark of the Web" approach for all files
    that a user might run. However, for some programs I've found that the "Mark
    of the Web" approach and the "Internet Options, Advanced, Security" approach
    can't be used together, so I need to use two different HTML files, one for
    launching from the IDE and another for launching by users who won't fiddle
    with Security settings.

    This is a mess, but at it has a semi-workable solution.

    Mickey Segal, Aug 30, 2004
  8. Mickey Segal

    Guest

    Mickey -

    You say that the "MOTW" solution worked for you? Would you mind
    answering a couple of questions about that for me? I can't get it to
    work at all.

    Where in the file did you place the MOTW line?

    Did you use the generic version <!-- saved from
    url=(0013)about:internet --> or a domain-specific one? If the generic,
    did you use the number 13 or the number 14? MS has two different
    versions on their site, and in one they say you shouldn't count the
    colon.

    Also, are you saying that if a user has changed his/her security
    settings, the MOTW solution doesn't work?

    I'm trying to get an entire website to run from a CD, and this is
    causing major problems for my client. I'd really appreciate your help.
    Thanks.

    , Jan 8, 2005
  9. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Where in the file did you place the MOTW line?
    > Did you use the generic version <!-- saved from
    > url=(0013)about:internet --> or a domain-specific one? If the generic,
    > did you use the number 13 or the number 14? MS has two different
    > versions on their site, and in one they say you shouldn't count the
    > colon.

    The location of the "Mark of the Web" matters a lot. I don't know the full
    rules but I start my HTML pages in the form below, with the domain name
    "mydomainname" replaced by our actual domain, which has the same number of
    characters, needed for the count. I think the MOTW code needs to be on a
    separate line:

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
    Transitional//EN""http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd">
    <!-- saved from url=(0028)http://www.mydomainname.com/ -->
    <HTML><HEAD>

    > Also, are you saying that if a user has changed his/her security
    > settings, the MOTW solution doesn't work?

    The MOTW messed up programs running from my IDE so for HTML pages launched
    from within the IDE I had no MOTW and I set Tools | Internet Options |
    Advanced | Security | Allow active content to run in files of My Computer.
    This IE setting does not mess up the MOTW approach for programs running
    outside the IDE.

    > I'm trying to get an entire website to run from a CD, and this is
    > causing major problems for my client. I'd really appreciate your help.

    The approach described above worked for us, though the whole experience of
    dealing with such XP SP2 hassles was one that the mind suppresses to improve
    job satisfaction so I might be failing to reconstruct some detail.

    Mickey Segal, Jan 8, 2005
  10. On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 17:31:00 -0500, Mickey Segal wrote:
    > The approach described above worked for us, though the whole experience of
    > dealing with such XP SP2 hassles was one that the mind suppresses to improve
    > job satisfaction so I might be failing to reconstruct some detail.

    Observations of the c.l.js group suggest to me that it was occasionally
    enough to drive people insane. Consider yourself lucky, and work that
    'forgettery'. ;-)

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Jan 8, 2005