Java Applets with .NET

Mr. x

Hello,
Can I use from java client services.
How can I do that - need a sample code, please.
Does the service must be java platform or .NET (*.asmx web service).

Does Internet Explorer have OLE, which can be used by Java (or does Java
support OLE ?)

Thanks :)

Chris Smith

Mr. x said:
Can I use from java client services.
How can I do that - need a sample code, please.

What do you mean by "Java client services?"
Does the service must be java platform or .NET (*.asmx web service).

If you're talking about web services, then yes you can use them from
Java. There are several libraries available to do so, such as Apache
AXIS.
Does Internet Explorer have OLE, which can be used by Java (or does Java
support OLE ?)

Several Java/COM bridges are available. Two popular ones are JACOB and
J/Integra. I don't know off-hand if IE exposes a COM interface for any
specific purpose, but my guess is that it does expose a COM interface
for at least its basic operation, such as displaying web pages by
certain URLs.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Mr. x

I meant that I want to use from java client machine (by using Java applets),
the web-services of a server machine.
The server machine for my purpose, is on microsoft server (.NET, *.asmx =
webservice file).

Thanks :)

Chris Smith

Mr. x said:
I meant that I want to use from java client machine (by using Java applets),
the web-services of a server machine.
The server machine for my purpose, is on microsoft server (.NET, *.asmx =
webservice file).

Okay, great. That's the question I answered, then.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Mr. x

Good thing that java support SOAP and some of the protocols of its
competitor : Microsoft. I don't think Microsoft will do the same for Java
protocols, but this lead to other discussion ...
Just wondering - does java web-service is also SOAP based protocol, and does
Java web-service is called exactly the same as Microsoft Web-Service ?

I am using JBuilder for writting applets
(it's a long time I didn't make a program in Java, but I used in the past
the JBuilder personal, and made some applets - it was a good IDE for a
start),
and I have found the http://ws.apache.org/axis/ (is it the site for apache
axis you meant ? I looked for version 1.1 sources - zip) , but it's not
quite obvious where should I put all the library in my disk (there is no
exe, that put this automatically in my disk on specific folder), so I need a
little help on where should I put the library.
besides, there are tons of classes, and I just want to use the specific
class - to call microsoft web-service, getting/setting the data by calling
web-service, and that's all.
Where can I get some help for the apache axis ?

Thanks :)

Chris Smith

Mr. x said:
Good thing that java support SOAP and some of the protocols of its
competitor : Microsoft. I don't think Microsoft will do the same for Java
protocols, but this lead to other discussion ...

SOAP is not Microsoft's protocol. Much like IIOP, it's a standard
protocol defined by an industry-wide group that's supported by numerous
companies. Microsoft happens to be one of the companies involved with
that group, and they have implemented the protocol in their new
languages. It's not too awfully surprising to see Java APIs appear to
communicate via SOAP. (By contrast, RMI's native protocol was a Java
innovation, which allowed it to integrate better into the Java language
than SOAP or IIOP would, but limited its usage.)
Just wondering - does java web-service is also SOAP based protocol, and does
Java web-service is called exactly the same as Microsoft Web-Service ?

Yes, all SOAP web services speak the same SOAP, regardless of their
origin.
and I have found the http://ws.apache.org/axis/ (is it the site for apache
axis you meant ? I looked for version 1.1 sources - zip) , but it's not
quite obvious where should I put all the library in my disk (there is no
exe, that put this automatically in my disk on specific folder), so I need a
little help on where should I put the library.
besides, there are tons of classes, and I just want to use the specific
class - to call microsoft web-service, getting/setting the data by calling
web-service, and that's all.
Where can I get some help for the apache axis ?

The web site itself (which you reference above) has a good bit of
documentation on all the questions you're asking. Note that AXIS
contains the ability to both use and deploy web services. From the
standpoint of your applet, you just want to use them, and the majority
of AXIS will not be relevant. You want the stuff labelled as
"consuming" or "client" web services.

A good start would be the section on the WSDL2Java utility in the User's
Guide. As far as installation, there's a whole section dedicated to it.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Mr. x

N.B.

Another thing - are there many companies that use the strategy of developing
Java applet with .NET ?

Thanks :)