java application act like a toolbar

cosmo

hey there,

i have a severe problem with java :)

i want my application act like a toolbar/taskbar in windows or better
to say, i want to give my application two main features:
- always on top of all other applications
- all other applications shall not maximize "under" my toolbar-
application. so the space, which is used by my application on the
screen, shall not be used by any other application.

this would be pretty the same features which the windows taskbar has.
the always-on-top feature was easy to implement 'cause java has a
method for setting this feature.

my main problem is now to tell windows itself, that my application
shall be treated like a taskbar so that no other application maximizes
"under" it. java doesn't seem to provide any method for this ability.

has anybody any idea? because i'm definitely out of ideas :(
thanks in advance for your help,

best wishes, manu

Andrew Thompson

hey there,

i have a severe problem with java :)

i want my application act like a toolbar/taskbar in windows or better
to say, i want to give my application two main features:
- always on top of all other applications
- all other applications shall not maximize "under" my toolbar-
application. so the space, which is used by my application on the
screen, shall not be used by any other application.

It seems your (potential) users who have the
biggest problem - until they uninstall such
software.

What abilities do these features offer to the
end user? As an end user, I can send any app.
to full-screen (assuming it is resizable) and
minimize all others already - if that is what
*I* want.

cosmo

It seems your (potential) users who have the
biggest problem - until they uninstall such
software.

What abilities do these features offer to the
end user? As an end user, I can send any app.
to full-screen (assuming it is resizable) and
minimize all others already - if that is what
*I* want.

thanks for your answer.
the "feature" or better so say advantage to the enduser of my app is
that he can use it like a toolbar. the app has about 300px width and
shall always be visible to the user, without influencing the
visibility of other apps. that's why the "no-under-maximization" shall
be a feature of my app.

so any idea how to solve that problem?

thx and best greetings,
manu

thufir

Why would I want to run your app? What in the world does it off that's
so fantastic?

-Thufir

cosmo

thanks for your answer.
the "feature" or better so say advantage to the enduser of my app is
that he can use it like a toolbar. the app has about 300px width and
shall always be visible to the user, without influencing the
visibility of other apps. that's why the "no-under-maximization" shall
be a feature of my app.

so any idea how to solve that problem?

thx and best greetings,
manu

has anybody an idea how to do this with the windows API?
do a workaround with .NET?

thx and best greetings,
manu