Java application using local MySQL DB: How to distribute easily?

francisrammeloo

Hi all,

I have developed a Java application that makes use of a local MySQL
database. Is there a way to quickly install this application on a
user's computer without the burden of having to install MySQL first and
import the database?

Ideally the entire application + DB would be in one .jar or one
directory, then the installation would just be drag and drop. Is this
possible?

If it is not possible with MySQL; would there be another solution? Like
exporting the database to another format that allows easier
installation?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Francis

Martin Gregorie

Hi all,

I have developed a Java application that makes use of a local MySQL
database. Is there a way to quickly install this application on a
user's computer without the burden of having to install MySQL first and
import the database?

Ideally the entire application + DB would be in one .jar or one
directory, then the installation would just be drag and drop. Is this
possible?

If it is not possible with MySQL; would there be another solution? Like
exporting the database to another format that allows easier
installation?
It might visit the Apache Foundation and take a look at Derby
http://db.apache.org/derby/

to see if that will do the job. Derby (formerly the IBM Cloudscape
product) is a pure Java Open Source RDBMS so you could deploy it from a
JAR file along with the application.

HTH