    hi to all ..thanks to this site ..it is doing a great job..i have
    just finished my graduation..i am eager to know about java
    programming..how do i start all of it ..help me...
    varsha, Oct 22, 2007

  2. varsha

    rossum Guest

    On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:41:54 -0700, varsha <>
    wrote:

    >hi to all ..thanks to this site ..it is doing a great job..i have
    >just finished my graduation..i am eager to know about java
    >programming..how do i start all of it ..help me...

    Try http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/index.html

    rossum
    rossum, Oct 22, 2007

  3. varsha

    Lew Guest

    rossum wrote:
    > Try http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/index.html

    More advice: Java is a language of precision, like all computer technology.
    Case matters. It is good practice to use correct case, especially on proper
    nouns, in English. It helps the mental rigor needed to program correctly, and
    it helps sell your skills to prospective employers and clients.

    "This" is not a "site". "This" is a Usenet forum.

    The word "I" is spelled in upper case. The word "Java" is capitalized.
    Sentences end in a single period followed by two spaces before the next
    sentence. Questions end in a question mark ('?').

    Usenet posts are answered on Usenet. It's a public forum, so don't anticipate
    that people will email you privately for conversations here.

    Review the regularly (every few days) posted message in this forum,
    "comp.lang.java.{help,programmer} - what they're for (mini-FAQ 2006-03-31)".
    Within it and in the links to which it points is sound advice how to make good
    use of these forums.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Oct 22, 2007
  4. Lew said something like:
    > varsha wrote:
    >>> hi to all ..thanks to this site ..it is doing a great job..i have
    >>> just finished my graduation..i am eager to know about java
    >>> programming..how do i start all of it ..help me...
    >>>

    > rossum wrote:
    >> Try http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/index.html

    > More advice: Java is a language of precision, like all computer
    > technology.
    > Case matters. It is good practice to use correct case, especially on
    > proper
    > nouns, in English. It helps the mental rigor needed to program correctly,
    > and it helps sell your skills to prospective employers and clients.
    >
    > "This" is not a "site". "This" is a Usenet forum.

    I would be a little more forgiving of this. There are sites out there that
    provide a forum fa├žade to usenet, and people interface through that site's
    HTML, and not through their newsreaders NNTP. It would be easy for a
    newcomer to get that confused.

    ....[rip]...

    --
    With knowledge comes sorrow, with intelligence, despair.
    Thomas G. Marshall, Oct 23, 2007
  5. On Oct 23, 9:36 am, "Thomas G. Marshall"
    <> wrote:
    > Lew said something like:

    > > "This" is not a "site". "This" is a Usenet forum.

    > I would be a little more forgiving of this. ...

    How does 'forgiveness' enter into it? Lew was simply
    providing information. Did you perhaps mean 'provide
    more detail'?

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Oct 23, 2007
  6. varsha

    Lew Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > On Oct 23, 9:36 am, "Thomas G. Marshall"
    > <> wrote:
    >> Lew said something like:

    >>> "This" is not a "site". "This" is a Usenet forum.

    >> I would be a little more forgiving of this. ...

    > How does 'forgiveness' enter into it? Lew was simply
    > providing information. Did you perhaps mean 'provide
    > more detail'?

    In fact, casting what I said in terms of "forgiving" diminishes the message.
    Was the information not valid? Was it not objective? Was it not useful?
    Isn't valid, objective, useful information the whole point of this forum? How
    in the world can there be an objection to that?

    While TGM soaks in the warm piddle of feel-good misinformation, I advise the
    OP to pay attention to the valid, objective, useful information.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Oct 23, 2007
  7. Lew said something like:
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    >> On Oct 23, 9:36 am, "Thomas G. Marshall"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> I would be a little more forgiving of this. ...

    >> How does 'forgiveness' enter into it? Lew was simply
    >> providing information. Did you perhaps mean 'provide
    >> more detail'?

    > In fact, casting what I said in terms of "forgiving" diminishes the
    > message. Was the information not valid? Was it not objective? Was
    > it not useful? Isn't valid, objective, useful information the whole
    > point of this forum? How in the world can there be an objection to
    > that?
    > While TGM soaks in the warm piddle of feel-good misinformation, I
    > advise the OP to pay attention to the valid, objective, useful
    > information.

    Whoa....what I said about "forgiveness" is a figure of speech...and
    certainly not meant as an admonishment toward you.

    Look at it this way: You sentences

    "This" is not a "site". "This"
    is a Usenet forum.

    was correcting someone. A correction, is usually aimed toward a mistake.
    Being forgiving of a mistake is a converstational way of saying that I
    wouldn't even bother correcting it for the reasons I gave. There was
    nothing wrong in you correcting him, nothing at all. And it was useful
    information. Nor was there anything wrong with my reply.

    However, your "soaks in the warm piddle" bullshit is pointedly rude. Now
    *that* is an admonishment of your behavior here.
    Thomas G. Marshall, Oct 23, 2007
  8. varsha

    Lew Guest

    Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
    > However, your "soaks in the warm piddle" bullshit is pointedly rude. Now
    > *that* is an admonishment of your behavior here.

    I apologize. I really thought you were advocating diminishing the information
    provided. Since I was mistaken in that regard, my comment was over the top.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Oct 23, 2007
  9. Lew said something like:
    > Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
    >> However, your "soaks in the warm piddle" bullshit is pointedly rude. Now
    >> *that* is an admonishment of your behavior here.

    > I apologize. I really thought you were advocating diminishing the
    > information provided. Since I was mistaken in that regard, my comment was
    > over the top.

    Accepted, of course, thank you. However Andrew also misread my tone and
    intention, so I probably wasn't as clear as I intended either. I'll look at
    it again, keep it from happening.

    I wonder though.....

    It's been a while since I've frequented the computer science newsgroups.
    Perhaps I've lost the vocal precision needed here? Interesting..... I *do*
    have to use a tone here that I otherwise wouldn't use.

    --
    I've seen this a few times--Don't make this mistake:

    Dwight: "This thing is wildly available."
    Smedly: "Did you mean wildly, or /widely/ ?"
    Dwight: "Both!", said while nodding emphatically.

    Dwight was exposed to have made a grammatical
    error and tries to cover it up by thinking
    fast. This is so painfully obvious that he
    only succeeds in looking worse.
    Thomas G. Marshall, Oct 23, 2007
  10. varsha

    Lew Guest

    Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
    > It's been a while since I've frequented the computer science newsgroups.
    > Perhaps I've lost the vocal precision needed here? Interesting..... I *do*
    > have to use a tone here that I otherwise wouldn't use.

    What you apparently missed is that there's been a lot of thin-skinned reaction
    in this group to objective posts that failed to sufficiently pander to some
    sensitivities. People have had a tendency to be, IMHO, overly prickly and it
    has started to intrude on the conveyance of assistance. That trend and the
    discussions about it set the tone.

    Had there not been this controversy we might have not interpreted your comment
    about being "forgiving" quite so literally.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Oct 23, 2007
  11. varsha

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:41:54 -0700, varsha <>

    >hi to all ..thanks to this site ..it is doing a great job..i have
    >just finished my graduation..i am eager to know about java
    >programming..how do i start all of it ..help me...

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/gettingstarted.html

    The best way to learn is to set yourself a project that you care
    about, that you actually want to use yourself. Then you learn what you
    need to bit by bit to implement your project. That gives you focus and
    extra motivation.

    see http://mindprod.com/project/projects.html
    to give you some ideas for projects.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    Roedy Green, Oct 23, 2007
  12. varsha

    j1mb0jay Guest

    varsha wrote:
    > hi to all ..thanks to this site ..it is doing a great job..i have
    > just finished my graduation..i am eager to know about java
    > programming..how do i start all of it ..help me...

    I would suggest that you get to grips with the Big O theory. Writing
    good data structures is the key to writing quick programs.

    Google: Object Orientated, Interfaces, Inheritance

    Regards j1mb0jay
    j1mb0jay, Oct 31, 2007