java beginner

varsha

hi to all ..thanks to this site ..it is doing a great job..i have
just finished my graduation..i am eager to know about java
programming..how do i start all of it ..help me...
(e-mail address removed)

Lew

More advice: Java is a language of precision, like all computer technology.
Case matters. It is good practice to use correct case, especially on proper
nouns, in English. It helps the mental rigor needed to program correctly, and
it helps sell your skills to prospective employers and clients.

"This" is not a "site". "This" is a Usenet forum.

The word "I" is spelled in upper case. The word "Java" is capitalized.
Sentences end in a single period followed by two spaces before the next
sentence. Questions end in a question mark ('?').

Usenet posts are answered on Usenet. It's a public forum, so don't anticipate
that people will email you privately for conversations here.

Review the regularly (every few days) posted message in this forum,
"comp.lang.java.{help,programmer} - what they're for (mini-FAQ 2006-03-31)".
Within it and in the links to which it points is sound advice how to make good
use of these forums.

Thomas G. Marshall

Lew said something like:
More advice: Java is a language of precision, like all computer
technology.
Case matters. It is good practice to use correct case, especially on
proper
nouns, in English. It helps the mental rigor needed to program correctly,
and it helps sell your skills to prospective employers and clients.

"This" is not a "site". "This" is a Usenet forum.

I would be a little more forgiving of this. There are sites out there that
provide a forum façade to usenet, and people interface through that site's
HTML, and not through their newsreaders NNTP. It would be easy for a
newcomer to get that confused.

....[rip]...

Andrew Thompson

Lew said something like: ....

I would be a little more forgiving of this. ...

How does 'forgiveness' enter into it? Lew was simply
providing information. Did you perhaps mean 'provide
more detail'?

Andrew T.

Lew

Andrew said:
How does 'forgiveness' enter into it? Lew was simply
providing information. Did you perhaps mean 'provide
more detail'?

In fact, casting what I said in terms of "forgiving" diminishes the message.
Was the information not valid? Was it not objective? Was it not useful?
Isn't valid, objective, useful information the whole point of this forum? How
in the world can there be an objection to that?

While TGM soaks in the warm piddle of feel-good misinformation, I advise the
OP to pay attention to the valid, objective, useful information.

Thomas G. Marshall

Lew said something like:
In fact, casting what I said in terms of "forgiving" diminishes the
message. Was the information not valid? Was it not objective? Was
it not useful? Isn't valid, objective, useful information the whole
point of this forum? How in the world can there be an objection to
that?
While TGM soaks in the warm piddle of feel-good misinformation, I
advise the OP to pay attention to the valid, objective, useful
information.

Whoa....what I said about "forgiveness" is a figure of speech...and
certainly not meant as an admonishment toward you.

Look at it this way: You sentences

"This" is not a "site". "This"
is a Usenet forum.

was correcting someone. A correction, is usually aimed toward a mistake.
Being forgiving of a mistake is a converstational way of saying that I
wouldn't even bother correcting it for the reasons I gave. There was
nothing wrong in you correcting him, nothing at all. And it was useful
information. Nor was there anything wrong with my reply.

However, your "soaks in the warm piddle" bullshit is pointedly rude. Now
*that* is an admonishment of your behavior here.

Lew

Thomas said:
However, your "soaks in the warm piddle" bullshit is pointedly rude. Now
*that* is an admonishment of your behavior here.

I apologize. I really thought you were advocating diminishing the information
provided. Since I was mistaken in that regard, my comment was over the top.

Thomas G. Marshall

Lew said something like:
I apologize. I really thought you were advocating diminishing the
information provided. Since I was mistaken in that regard, my comment was
over the top.

Accepted, of course, thank you. However Andrew also misread my tone and
intention, so I probably wasn't as clear as I intended either. I'll look at
it again, keep it from happening.

I wonder though.....

It's been a while since I've frequented the computer science newsgroups.
Perhaps I've lost the vocal precision needed here? Interesting..... I *do*
have to use a tone here that I otherwise wouldn't use.

--
I've seen this a few times--Don't make this mistake:

Dwight: "This thing is wildly available."
Smedly: "Did you mean wildly, or /widely/ ?"
Dwight: "Both!", said while nodding emphatically.

Dwight was exposed to have made a grammatical
error and tries to cover it up by thinking
fast. This is so painfully obvious that he
only succeeds in looking worse.

Lew

Thomas said:
It's been a while since I've frequented the computer science newsgroups.
Perhaps I've lost the vocal precision needed here? Interesting..... I *do*
have to use a tone here that I otherwise wouldn't use.

What you apparently missed is that there's been a lot of thin-skinned reaction
in this group to objective posts that failed to sufficiently pander to some
sensitivities. People have had a tendency to be, IMHO, overly prickly and it
has started to intrude on the conveyance of assistance. That trend and the
discussions about it set the tone.

Had there not been this controversy we might have not interpreted your comment
about being "forgiving" quite so literally.

Roedy Green

hi to all ..thanks to this site ..it is doing a great job..i have
just finished my graduation..i am eager to know about java
programming..how do i start all of it ..help me...
(e-mail address removed)

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/gettingstarted.html

The best way to learn is to set yourself a project that you care
about, that you actually want to use yourself. Then you learn what you
need to bit by bit to implement your project. That gives you focus and
extra motivation.

see http://mindprod.com/project/projects.html
to give you some ideas for projects.

j1mb0jay

varsha said:
hi to all ..thanks to this site ..it is doing a great job..i have
just finished my graduation..i am eager to know about java
programming..how do i start all of it ..help me...
(e-mail address removed)

I would suggest that you get to grips with the Big O theory. Writing
good data structures is the key to writing quick programs.

Google: Object Orientated, Interfaces, Inheritance

Regards j1mb0jay