java book recommendation

jesse

to go along with my previous message, can someone give me an excellent java
book recommendation?

- jesse

KTC

jesse said:
to go along with my previous message, can someone give me an
excellent java book recommendation?

- jesse

As the other reply mentioned, TIJ is a very good choice especially if
you already know some programming like you said in your other
message. Either download it off the author website or buy it if you
prefer to read it in print.

Java: How to Program 5th Ed. - Good if you want a book whose pace
isn't as quick and doesn't assume any background knowledge.

Java in a Nutshell 4th Ed. - A very very good reference for java

Sudsy

jesse said:
to go along with my previous message, can someone give me an excellent java
book recommendation?

- jesse

Some people have slagged it but I really enjoyed "The Java Tutorial".
It served as an excellent introduction to the language and provided
the opportunity to write simple programs almost from the get go. It
even comes with a CD-ROM containing a recent version of the JDK so
you can be up and running very quickly. YMMV

Gary N.

Java Programming Today, by Barbara Johnston

It's a new book. Very good both as a reference and as a learning aid.