Java books and remote execution

sandiyan

I've got Java application that runs on Unix and would like to add
functionality such that it runs remote process(starting an
upgrade/install) on a Windows platform.

I need some recommendation on books and web links along this area -
Runtime.exec
/RMI/dcom

Thanks,
Sandiyan.

TechBookReport

sandiyan said:
I've got Java application that runs on Unix and would like to add
functionality such that it runs remote process(starting an
upgrade/install) on a Windows platform.

I need some recommendation on books and web links along this area -
Runtime.exec
/RMI/dcom

Thanks,
Sandiyan.

Depends on how much detail you want. Many of the best intro Java books
include some coverage of RMI, including Bruce Eckel's 'Thinking In Java'
(available as a download as well as in book form), 'Head First Java' and
Deitel & Deitel's 'Java: How To Program'. All of these are reviewed at
TechBookReport (http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html)

For more detail you'd want either a book devoted to the subject or something
that moves into J2EE territory. 'Guide to J2EE: Enterprise Java',
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1852337044/454/202-3704680-7543035
) is pretty comprehensive.

And don't forget to look at Sun's tutorials.

HTH

Pan