Java books

Discussion in 'Java' started by Jim, Sep 22, 2004.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Hello All,

    I am going to buy a few Java books which
    covers the following topics in good detail
    for intermediate to advanced programmers:
    Networking
    Multithreading
    JDBC
    Servlets and JSP
    J2EE
    Practical tips
    GUI

    I know that there many good books in the
    market and there some overlap in their
    coverage, but I want to buy minimum number
    books.

    Thanks for your help !

    Jim

    Jim, Sep 22, 2004

  2. Jim wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I am going to buy a few Java books which
    > covers the following topics in good detail
    > for intermediate to advanced programmers:
    > Networking
    > Multithreading
    > JDBC
    > Servlets and JSP
    > J2EE
    > Practical tips
    > GUI
    >
    > I know that there many good books in the
    > market and there some overlap in their
    > coverage, but I want to buy minimum number
    > books.
    >
    > Thanks for your help !
    >
    > Jim

    Bruce Eckel's 'Thinking In Java' is pretty good for most of your list,
    but it doesn't really cover GUI at all (I don't really think of it as an
    introductory title, even though that's what it's intended to be).
    Although I've not looked at it yet, there's always O'Reilly's 'Java
    Cookbook' if you want code. Finally, one of the best
    intermediate/advanced Java books is still Joshua Bloch's 'Effective Java'.

    Take a look at the TechBookReport Java page
    (http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html) for more detailed reviews.

    Pan

    TechBookReport, Sep 22, 2004

  3. Jim

    Radario Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I am going to buy a few Java books which
    > covers the following topics in good detail
    > for intermediate to advanced programmers:
    > Networking
    > Multithreading
    > JDBC
    > Servlets and JSP
    > J2EE
    > Practical tips
    > GUI
    >
    > I know that there many good books in the
    > market and there some overlap in their
    > coverage, but I want to buy minimum number
    > books.
    >
    > Thanks for your help !
    >
    > Jim

    Java 2 Black Book
    Steven Holzner
    Coriolis Technology Press
    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/193211100X/
    Great Book!!

    --
    "No matter how well you do something there are about
    a thousand guys who can do it better."

    Radario, Sep 23, 2004