    I know o'reilly is highly regarded, though am not sure if it'll meet my
    immediate needs..

    We have a lot of books here at work but they're mostly more advanced..

    Ivan, Mar 2, 2006

  2. Ivan

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 1 Mar 2006 18:21:27 -0800, "Ivan" <> wrote,

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/gettingstarted.html
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Mar 2, 2006

  3. Ivan

    Tail_Spin Guest

    Thinking in Java by Bruce Eckel is an excellent book.
    It contains a lot of examples and sample code for you to download and
    try. Most of Bruce Eckel's books are freely available on the internet for
    download
    along with the sample code. I would highly recommend it.

    Website: http://www.mindview.net/
    Book download page: http://www.pythoncriticalmass.com/

    Tail_Spin, Mar 2, 2006
  4. Ivan

    James McGill Guest

    On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 18:21 -0800, Ivan wrote:
    > Hi all..
    >
    > I'll be on my way to the book store tomorrow, looking for a beginner's
    > guide to java..
    >
    > Is there any one in particular that people commonly recommend?
    >
    > I know o'reilly is highly regarded, though am not sure if it'll meet my
    > immediate needs..
    >
    > We have a lot of books here at work but they're mostly more advanced..

    Xiaoping Jia
    Object Oriented Software Development Using Java
    ISBN 0-201-73733-7

    A very good introduction into the Java language, assumes a minimal
    amount of programming experience, and it presents not just the language,
    but also the idioms of design which are equally important and often
    neglected in introductory texts.

    James McGill, Mar 2, 2006
  5. Ivan

    Jens Guest

    Have a look on

    Head First Java from O'Reilly - ISBN 0596009208

    You will like that.

    Jens

    Jens, Mar 2, 2006
  6. Ivan

    Deep Guest

    well i am working with java since 2 yrs. and i studied lots of java
    book.
    but i will recommend two books
    one as some one said Thinking in java by Bruce Eckle
    and another is Java2 Complete reference by Herbert Shildt
    well the second one is the best book i have ever found for beginner
    and when i finished it go to Thinking in java..

    Deep, Mar 2, 2006
  7. Ivan wrote:
    > Hi all..
    >
    > I'll be on my way to the book store tomorrow, looking for a beginner's
    > guide to java..
    >
    > Is there any one in particular that people commonly recommend?
    >
    > I know o'reilly is highly regarded, though am not sure if it'll meet my
    > immediate needs..
    >
    > We have a lot of books here at work but they're mostly more advanced..

    Take a look at the recommendations on the TechBookReport site - it
    should help to find a title that matches your previous experience and
    current needs. The recommendations are at
    http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html

    TechBookReport, Mar 2, 2006