Java calling C# or VBA (MS Office API) ?

Oleg Konovalov

Hi,

I am writing a Java application which among many other things
has to call some MS Office [PowerPoint] internal methods,
which only seems to be possible from either VBA or C#.

Can anybody suggest a way of Java calling VBA or C# ?

I do know how to call an executable from Java
or Java interface with C/C++ through JNI.

Thank you in advance,
Oleg.

P.S.: If you know how to call PowerPoint from Java or VC++,
please speak out too.

JavaJug

Oleg said:
Hi,

I am writing a Java application which among many other things
has to call some MS Office [PowerPoint] internal methods,
which only seems to be possible from either VBA or C#.

Can anybody suggest a way of Java calling VBA or C# ?

I do know how to call an executable from Java
or Java interface with C/C++ through JNI.

Thank you in advance,
Oleg.

P.S.: If you know how to call PowerPoint from Java or VC++,
please speak out too.

I'm not an expert, but I think that CORBA is usefull for such things.
That's what told my CORBA teacher...
Good luck !

Xav

Liz

Oleg Konovalov said:
Hi,

I am writing a Java application which among many other things
has to call some MS Office [PowerPoint] internal methods,
which only seems to be possible from either VBA or C#.

Can anybody suggest a way of Java calling VBA or C# ?

I do know how to call an executable from Java
or Java interface with C/C++ through JNI.

If the 'vba', 'c#', 'c' or 'c++' is made into a '.dll' just
follow the tutorial information at the Sun web site.

Stefan Poehn

Liz said:
Oleg Konovalov said:
Hi,

I am writing a Java application which among many other things
has to call some MS Office [PowerPoint] internal methods,
which only seems to be possible from either VBA or C#.

Can anybody suggest a way of Java calling VBA or C# ?

I do know how to call an executable from Java
or Java interface with C/C++ through JNI.

If the 'vba', 'c#', 'c' or 'c++' is made into a '.dll' just
follow the tutorial information at the Sun web site.

Or use a java-com-bridge like JIntegra (commercial, but not very expensive,
http://j-integra.intrinsyc.com/). There is also a open source-like licensed
java-com-bridge http://danadler.com/jacob/. I've worked with Jintegra and am
very happy with it.

I think there are still more java-com-bridges, do a web search on "java com
bridge".

Regards
Stefan

Oleg Konovalov

Liz,

Could you please post a link to the document on Sun's site ?

Thank you,
Oleg.
Oleg Konovalov said:
Hi,

I am writing a Java application which among many other things
has to call some MS Office [PowerPoint] internal methods,
which only seems to be possible from either VBA or C#.

Can anybody suggest a way of Java calling VBA or C# ?

I do know how to call an executable from Java
or Java interface with C/C++ through JNI.

If the 'vba', 'c#', 'c' or 'c++' is made into a '.dll' just
follow the tutorial information at the Sun web site.
Thank you in advance,
Oleg.

P.S.: If you know how to call PowerPoint from Java or VC++,
please speak out too.

Oleg Konovalov

JavaJug,

I have done a lot of Java-CORBA-C++ development before
and would not recommend that option unless you go from Java to C++
over the network, use JNI for that. Too much overhead and very hard to
debug.

In my case they live on same machine, so the only reason I am doing that
is because Microsoft doesn't give any access to Office API through Java
(that Sun-Microsoft wars over Java).

Thank you,
Oleg.
Oleg said:
Hi,

I am writing a Java application which among many other things
has to call some MS Office [PowerPoint] internal methods,
which only seems to be possible from either VBA or C#.

Can anybody suggest a way of Java calling VBA or C# ?

I do know how to call an executable from Java
or Java interface with C/C++ through JNI.

Thank you in advance,
Oleg.

P.S.: If you know how to call PowerPoint from Java or VC++,
please speak out too.

I'm not an expert, but I think that CORBA is usefull for such things.
That's what told my CORBA teacher...
Good luck !

Xav

Andrew Thompson

(that Sun-Microsoft wars over Java).

They are supposed to be over.
<http://www.physci.org/jvmclean.jsp>
('recent' news near top of page)

Maybe if you ask MS again, nicely... ;-)

F'Ups set to c.l.j.programmer, as it
was one of only two of the five groups
to which this was cross-posted that is
actually a valid group.