    names for my constants - which end up taking an absurd amount of space.

    any help would be appreciated!

    daniel

    Blah Blah, Aug 23, 2003

  2. Blah Blah

    Marko Lahma Guest

    You can use java byte (source) code obfuscator. They remove all
    unnecessary code and obfuscate the variable names to short ones which
    also make undestanding of decompiled code a bit harder. Sideproduct is
    smaller byte code size.

    for example see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/retroguard.html

    Cheers,
    Marko

    Marko Lahma, Aug 23, 2003

  3. Blah Blah

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 14:32:42 -0400, "Blah Blah" <>
    wrote or quoted :

    >i'm writing an applet which is growing a little out of control, and i'm
    >trying to cut down on the size of the final applet without reducing
    >functionality. is there a way to strip all excess symbols out of the applet
    >at compile time, or munge the internal names so that they're shorter?
    >coming from a C++ background, i have all of these nice, long explanatory
    >names for my constants - which end up taking an absurd amount of space.

    You can do obfuscation which will prune it somewhat.

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/obfuscator.html

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Aug 23, 2003
  4. Blah Blah

    Blah Blah Guest

    thanks! i'll give this a shot.

    Blah Blah, Aug 23, 2003
  5. Blah Blah

    wrote or quoted :

    > cut down on the size of the final applet

    make sure you put it in a jar, since that compresses the class files.

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jar.html

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Aug 23, 2003